Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Huge poops and possible impaction?

This is gonna be kinda gross, so apologies beforehand. A few months ago a friend needed help, and I ended up taking in their two 'fancy' mice during a time they couldn't care for them. I ended up keeping the mice when she couldn't take them back, and it's been relatively smooth sailing up until now.

One of them (a brown and white splotchy female) seems to have 'hard' feeling guts, and has been having unusually large poops lately. I've resorted to gently assisting her since she strains to relieve herself, and looked up a guide for administering enemas to small rodents and tried that once (and got a lot of poop out). Strangely, she acts almost completely normal, eats, drinks, runs, and popcorns around at night, which I can only assume is that tendency animals have to hide their illness.

I'm worried. I'm a college student and can't afford to take her to a vet, and while she does strain (and hates the enemas), she still seems okay. I can't seem to get the 'hard' feeling of her guts to go away, and I can only assume it's impacted poop. What else can I do? I feel really bad, I don't usually take animals in when I don't think I can afford to keep them, but this was a weird case. 

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

I've kept over 50 mice and have never known a constipated one. Mice do sometimes get internal tumours though so I wouldn't rule that out. Some mice are also prone to obesity and there seems to be little you can do about that.

If you think it could be constipation then you need to have a look at their diet first and perhaps change it to something more suitable but unless you are a vet I would think you could do more harm than good trying to give an enema to something as small as a mouse while it's still conscious. You really do need a vet to look at her and give a correct diagnosis.

Whereabouts are you based?

• MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    I agree with what AnnB said.

For now, you could try giving some fresh veggies. Preferably something with a good amount of fiber like broccoli. If it is just constipation this could possibly help. 
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    I second the brocolli or even a dark green piece of lettuce. That usually goes through them quite quickly and if it doesn't it may give an indication. Not too much though as could cause dehydration. Make sure they have plenty of fresh clean water to keep them loose, (just like us). It sounds like you really care for the little girl but I too agree with AnnB - leave it to the vet if it is required.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    One of my guinea pigs suffers impactions,
    What works for him is exercise, fibre, and moisture. So I give them celery and cucumber and check every night - it is Also worth putting up fly nets or repellents because the smell will attract flies which could lead to flystrike.

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....