Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Fun Area Leon?

I'm thinking about buying a new cage and have been looking at the Fun Area Leon. Does anyone here have any experience with this cage? It's available on zooplus and looks like it could make a pretty good cage for mice.

I like the solid levels, it would be good for me as I want to offer my mice as much floor space as possible but I don't have a lot of room for cages. The actual floor size is 67 x 37cm but with two extra solid floors the mice would essentially have 3 times that amount of space to play in. Plus, unlike hamsters (where floor size is way more important than height), mice and female mice in particular just LOVE to climb so I like the idea of having a taller cage with more levels (kinda like rat cages). I also like the fact that the bar spacing is tiny at only 6.72cm so it would be really ideal for baby mice and houdini mice :P

I have a couple of queries about the cage though...
#1: What can be done about the wooden shelves, as mice will obviously pee all over it. Do you think something like plastikote would do the trick, to protect it from absorbing urine? Or I could get acrylic sheets cut to the size of the shelves and glued on top?
#2: What to do about litter/bedding on the upper levels? I can't use my usual back 2 nature pellets as they would fall/be pushed through the bars. So I could either use nothing, and just wipe the levels down every day, or I'll have to find something that won't fall through the bars. Any suggestions?
#3: I know that opinions vary massively here, but how many mice would you think this cage is suitable for? I was thinking 4 or 5 girls could live in here, but just wanted to check what you guys think.

Any opinions or advice are welcome here. Let me know what you think :)
Hamster: Archie
Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

I haven't had this cage myself but other people have told me that it's a good cage for mice. I think the drawbacks with this cage are the difficulty in accessing the higher levels to clean the shelves and get the mice out and the worry that it isn't so suitable for elderly mice who can no longer climb the ramps.

Plastikote is probably the best way to cover the shelves and other than a bit of shredded paper maybe, I wouldn't put any substrate on the higher levels. The cage would definitely be fine for four or five mice.

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Hi MouseLover. As a mouse cage it`s a good one. Height, shelving, safe solid ramps and narrow bar spacing. All positives. :)

The wooden shelving would stink in no time though, so what I would do (as you already suggested) is get some Perspex sheets, cut them to the same size as the shelves and glue them to the wood using no more nails or something strong. The glue will be underneath the Perspex anyway so won`t be harmful to the mice. Then you could take some sheets of newspaper and cover the Perspex with those. The mice will chew the paper and have fun!

The doors on this cage are small but accessible. o you would still be able to get your hand in and out to replace bowls or water, wipe across the shelving etc....

There is also th Verazzi cage (I think I spelled that correctly?) sold online. It comes in two different sizes and may be a cheaper option. It also has narrow bars and is a good size, but doesn`t have the full shelves the Leon has, just plastic corner shelves. I had an image of it but deleted it.
    :(
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    1) I have used Plasticote but make sure is from a tub applied with brush, not the spray version. Tub version is safe for animals. Does take several coats and takes bit of time to do but worth it - soaking and boiling not required :)
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Cheers guys :) Yes I was thinking it would be better suited to young mice. I have one older mouse at the moment (18 months) and one younger one (5 months).The older one is still fit as a fiddle right now but it will have to be something I keep in mind.

Going to be wanting some babies soon but have actually put it off for a bit as there's been a lot going on in my personal life and I just think it'd be a bit much right now. Still, that gives me more time to prepare for new arrivals.

Racingmouse - I didn't know the verazzi came in two sizes. Thanks, I'll have to have a look at that.
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger