Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Easibed?

Hi all, quick question for you? Is Easibed ok for mice and rats, only I went to buy some more Aubiose the other day and they were out of stock. The lady in the shop showed me some loose Easibed and it seemed fine, nice and dry, no smell and didn't leave any traces of dust on my hands. So I brought a bale. Then when I got home and started to clean out the hams I was immediately struck by the strong smell of pine emanating from the bag and also that it felt damp. So I ended up only cleaning out one of the hams. I thought perhaps I ought to check whether or not it's recommended for mice and rats. The lady in the shop assured me that lots of people use it for rodent bedding but then again, lots of people think sawdust is fine...
;;)
The Pink Paw Gang are back in town! 2 mice, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 2 springer spaniels, 1 sprollie and 1 sprocker. Is this what you call a multicultural house :)

Remembering my gorgeous boy Griffon, my cheeky Merlin, my beautiful Womble, the handsome Mr George and my 'grumpy' old man Buster

Run free Lilo, Meeko, Stitch, Molly and Davey (hamsters) Zelda, Princess, Ninny and Link (rats) and Squeak (guinea pig)

Playing at The Rainbow Bridge are Wooster, Baldrick, Sir Edmund, Parker, Daisy, Poppy, Lily, Rosie & Fleur, Mitch, Alex, Pyscho, Tango & Cash, Little Misses Trouble and Mischief, Coco, Cookie & Hazel, Lilley & Tilley and Ernie, Pete, Strawberry and Shortcake and Mr & Mrs Mabel & Eric Mouse

Every little life matters

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

I've never used it myself and can never remember which are the ones to avoid but if it is pine based with a strong smell, rather than hemp then I think I would try to avoid using it for the mice and rats (unless someone else can vouch for it being ok). I'd also be concerned about mould spores in any damp bedding.

Having said all that, I do think we can sometimes be over cautious about these things.

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Hi Alison. I`ve just had to google Easibed as I couldn`t picture it in my head! It looks like chips or shards of white wood, according to the description? It looks similar to hemp, but it`s possibly a bit more brittle to the touch? I`ve never held any myself so can`t give an informed opinion. I have used Aubiose and Siccofloor hemp from Zooplus for mice before and those were both fine. Easibed is a new one on me. It possibly smells of pine as it`s wood based, so airing it out in a plastic open topped box will help remove the packing odour and dry it out.

I found this link to it:
    easibed.JPG
    542 x 407 - 42K
  • AlisonAlison Mouse
    Thanks ladies. In the end I went back to the shop and brought a bale of aubiose instead. I decided it wasn't worth taking the risk. It dried out quite nicely and it's meant to be dust free, which it seemed to be, but it didn't lose that strong pine smell so I decided against using it
    The Pink Paw Gang are back in town! 2 mice, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 2 springer spaniels, 1 sprollie and 1 sprocker. Is this what you call a multicultural house :)

Remembering my gorgeous boy Griffon, my cheeky Merlin, my beautiful Womble, the handsome Mr George and my 'grumpy' old man Buster

Run free Lilo, Meeko, Stitch, Molly and Davey (hamsters) Zelda, Princess, Ninny and Link (rats) and Squeak (guinea pig)

Playing at The Rainbow Bridge are Wooster, Baldrick, Sir Edmund, Parker, Daisy, Poppy, Lily, Rosie & Fleur, Mitch, Alex, Pyscho, Tango & Cash, Little Misses Trouble and Mischief, Coco, Cookie & Hazel, Lilley & Tilley and Ernie, Pete, Strawberry and Shortcake and Mr & Mrs Mabel & Eric Mouse

Every little life matters
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    I used Aubiose myself Alison when I had the mice and really liked it. It didn`t cause any problems. I always removed handfuls of it into a plastic storage box and aired it out rather than taking it straight from the bag as this allows the air to get to it and release any packing smells. Just give it a shake around outside now and then to allow the air into it.