Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Cheeselet

Sorry to say that Cheeselet, one sister of the one and only Basil, died last night. I noticed a really large lump under one leg at the front and a secondary appearing on her spine, so I put her to sleep.

She lived coming on for 20 months so not too bad a life, but still sorry to see her go. She was quite reserved and private but we got on really well.

===

I'm aware that all my mice are getting on a bit now, so if someone could point me in the right direction or introduce me to a proper breeder, I would be very grateful. I'm in Norfolk, UK. Can drive some distance to fetch newbies.

Please don't think me callous in putting this alongside an obituary but I like to overlap my mice so there's always someone new to take care of.

Jon
Ask not what your rodent can do for you...

Comments

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Sorry for your loss.

Sorry I don't know any breeders, why do you want to go from a breeder may I ask? Rescues  and private rehomes are much easier to find, I can't think of a single person breeding fancy mice, though I believe there used to be a fancy mouse breeders' forum. Wonder if it's still active? You could look and if it's not still about there's probably something similar.

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Sorry ypou lost cheeselet.
  • JonJon Lemming
    Kawaii said:

...why do you want to go from a breeder may I ask? Rescues  and private rehomes are much easier to find...

Thank you for responding.

I don't feel duty-bound to go to get rehomed mice particularly, but if the right mouse came along...

I just like the larger sized mice that you get from mouseries and if I can save one from being culled by a show breeder, then that's a good thing isn't it?
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    So sorry to hear. Goodnight little girl.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

I'm so sorry to hear about Cheeselet.

Rest in peace little girl.

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Hi Jon, really sorry to hear Cheeselet had to be helped to the bridge. Poor lass. She had a great name too! I know what you mean about the larger sized show mice, they do have big characters. I had three show-type mice, Lola, jet black satin female and Lulu, a rather timid female, all white and Betsy, a brown female who was also very shy/timid in nature.

Lola passed away from what I suspected was heart failure in such a short time. I was gutted. She was a wonderful, cheeky girl who used to run away from Bibi my little argente female and she would hide up my t.shirt!! I was in shock when I found her struggling one afternoon and held her. She just died in my hands. My other girl Lulu was a bi of a bully and she took ringworm which I then caught!

Betsy my third show type took tumours. One was operated on and removed, but she already had a secondary tumour appearing near her back leg. She died within seconds of a seizure.

She lived longer than Lola but I have to say, all my little pet-shop types all lived far longer and were just as full of character. All in all, I didn`t have much success with the two show mice I had and I never kept any after that. I suppose the line in breeding be that very good or not so good, will always throw up health problems in some form or other and some mice will live out a longer life than others. End of the day though, taking any wee mice in insures they have a good life.

Best of luck with your search for a breeder.
  • JonJon Lemming
    edited August 2016 Posts: 143
    I've found someone who I think ought to have some nice potential candidates. They're semi-show sized. I have grown to like this type for their size as I have larger hands and like a nice handful of warm fur coat! But I also enjoy the slight advantage in brain size and thus intelligence.

All that said... Niffler (see my Avatar and long couple of posts on here about her life) was a semi-runt from the pet shop. She was the sweetest creature of any species I have ever known.

So it's probably good to keep an open mind and just have whoever walks willingly up to your hand, or (like Niffler in the pet shop) sits still and lets you select her.

Ayayayay - so many mice, so little time to enjoy them all :D

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    So little time in deed Jon. Their little lives just race by while ours are longer. I never find it easy losing any of the small animals I have took on over the years because they have all been special in their own way. Let us know if you find any newcomers?
  • JonJon Lemming
    Yes I certainly will. As soon as it happens I'll get some photos up.
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    :( Sorry for your loss Jon. I hope you manage to find some new mice needing a home at the breeder you identified.