Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Hamster Splat/Hamster Pancake

Anyone know why dwarf hamsters (well maybe other hamsters too but of mine only  the Russian Hybrid does it) sometimes 'splat' on your hand?
(see attached photo please, it's not an amazing example  of it but all I could find right now!)image

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

Comments

• MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Someone once told me that they do this when something startles them (e.g. a sound or smell, doesn't have to be anything big). They lie super flat and still so that they are less visible to predators.

Whether that's true or not, I don't know, I'm just repeating what I heard  X(

My Archie does this sometimes when I'm stroking him - I thought it was because he likes being stroked... surely if he didn't he'd move away, not stay still? I don't know... but a mealworm always snaps him out of it.
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    I would agree but Jane will crawl up onto my hand then do it - but it could depend on the circumstances I suppose!! 

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....