Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Orphan field mouse? Getting baby to defecate?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place but a neighbour's cat found a baby field mouse and the cat's owner then brought the tiny thing to us.

It's in a tupperware box on a heatpad covered with fleece and I have figured out  how to get diluted kitten milk into its mouth (finally) but I don't know how to make it toilet. I know you're supposed to rub their hind ends but ...?  According to the fun mouse you can use warm wet cotton bud thing, I tried with a damp tissue but with no results. 

Help?!

Also  anyone have any idea how old it might be?  (see thumb photo for size reference.) I guessed maybe 3 weeks but really don't have any real idea whatsoever!
I also read that hand reared animals can't be released into the wild, is that true....?
imageimage

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

Comments

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Never mind, think it must have had internal injuries because it started bleeding from its nose and mouth then crawled under the fleece and passed away. 

Run free little one. Think he was only just over two weeks old as well.

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

Sad news, you tried your best but it wasn't to be.

If you have to toilet any baby animals again, imagine you're their mum giving them a wash. Obviously you don't want to use your own tongue (lol) so use a tissue that you've dipped in warm water and gently wipe the animal's belly right down to its rear end a number of times. If it needs to go to the toilet, it will!

Once you've hand reared a wild animal it would usually be too accustomed to people and wouldn't have the necessary survival instinct to cope in the wild, although you might be able to gradually get it used to living wild again by doing a "soft release".

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    S/he was so cute, bless their wee heart. Such a shame they didn`t make it. x
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Ah sorry he didn't make it.
    Mum to Bosley the rat and Teddy the hamster.
    Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills and Charlie the gentle-man Rat.
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Aaw that's sad that he didn't make it. Sweet little thing though, I've always liked field mice.
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • CritteryCrittery Overlord
    So sorry to hear, you did your best by him - that's all we can do x
    crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk