Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Any advice guys. Brand new mouse owner here lol

Hi my name is Shaelene . I just got a baby mouse about 2 days ago. He's about 4 weeks old and his name is Timothy. I really don't know much about them but I think I'm doing ok. I give him fresh veggies (sometimes fruit) every day . Lots of mouse food from the pet store and always fresh clean water . He has some toys to nibble on from the pet shops . I try my best to make sure his cage is clean . However I still feel very new to this as he is my first mouse. If u guys have any advice about diets, and handling a mouse or anything that would be helpful please share. Thank you

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Hi Shaelene, welcome. Your first mouse is always special. I  would recommend reading through the sections on here for feedback where other members have asked questions and had answers, or look for some tips on diet/housing etc...

Are you in the UK? If you say which part of the world you are in we can possibly help more. Mice don`t particularly love being picked up, but I always let my mice come to me. If your cage lid comes off easily, you could wait until he is out and about (don`t wake him up) and place your arm inside the cage, let him approach and sniff your sleeve and he may end up climbing on. If he does, leave your arm where it is and just let him explore. Male mice scent more so he may leave some urine on you, but keep a long sleeved t.shirt to slip on when you do this if you don`t want your normal clothes smelling of mouse!
    X(

At four weeks of age, he is still very young and may be very nervous. So be very patient and let him settle into his new home. Observe him while he eats and plays and make sure he has a good wheel that is solid and spins easily. Don`t wash his accessories every day either as this isn`t necessary and usually makes them scent mark even more. Don`t use that fluffy bedding as it`s unsafe. Use paper based products only and shred some plain toilet tissue for him as nesting material. Toilet roll tubes and cardboard egg boxes with a door cut into them are all good fun and are cheap/free and safe.

Let us know how he`s settling in and if yo have any immediate questions about him. Keep his quiet and away from stress. x
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Congratulations on your first mouse! People here are very helpful, so feel free to ask all the questions you want :)
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • Shaeleneangel23Shaeleneangel23 Lemming
    Thank you everyone . What kind of treats would u guys recommend ? Are the yogurt drops okay from the pet store. Or is he still too young for those? I'm from Kamloops bc Canada btw. :)
    Oh and he is been very active lately but he's eating and drinking which is good☺️. But he doesn't sleep much . Is this normal ? :(|)
    And I mean he eats a lot so is there anything extra he may be needing in his diet? I got the mouse food the ladies at the pet store suggested and they assured me it's a good brand .
    He gets 2 tablespoons every morning
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

Welcome to the forum Shaelene.

I think I'd be more concerned if he didn't seem active enough. If he's eating well and drinking well, I would say he sounds like a healthy young mouse.

I wouldn`t recommend yoghurt drops as they are essentially a `treat` but a sweet tooth treat.Treats can be given in healthier forms like buying a small bag of nut varieties from a health food store or supermarket that include hazelnut, walnut, cashew and peanut. Although for a small mouse, you only need to break off very small pieces of each nut around 2mm in size, or grate a few of the nuts and this makes them softer.

A good variety rat food is enjoyed by mice as they have similar diets, although breaking up any larger pieces is helpful as mice have smaller mouths and appreciate smaller pieces of food. Millet spray and seeds sold for canaries/budgies is also loved by mice, so your pet store will sell millet sprays and possibly a pre-weighted 1kg bag of budgie millet seed. You can add a teaspoonful of the millet to his normal dry mix.

For treats, my mice really enjoy pumpkin seeds, pine nuts and dried mealworms. They also LOVE cheerios and rice crispies :)
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Hello and welcome. Congratulations on Timothy.mice are great and this forum has helped me so much. The good thing about mice is cheap toys seem to go down best, cardboard tubes, Egg boxes , dry food boxes (cereal, tea etc) with holes cut in.Also a spot of child friendly PVA glue can be used to make great cardboard tube pyramids etc. They also love to climb. A busy cage is a happy cage.
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Welcome to the forum and to the world of mouse keeping :D

I think there are only two bits of advice that I can think of that haven't been mentioned yet. One, (and this would be my top bit of advice above just about everything else) is start looking now for a good vet that will treat mice. Do it now before you have the need to use one as a lot of mice can be prone to ailments. And secondly - male mice often scent mark their cages (this often gets worse as they get older and hit maturity.) To cut down on the smell a little bit you can leave some of their old bedding in their cage or a couple of their toys that haven't been scrubbed clean properly as this makes them feel a bit more secure. And be warned, the more you clean the more they tend to stink as it makes them feel very insecure and creates the need to redefine their territory again!!
    Nicky said:

A busy cage is a happy cage.

YES  =)) clutter that cage with toys!
    Thx
    edited September 2016 Posts: 25
    Thx guys we are slowly getting used to the new family member:) I think he likesus. He has 3 toys in his cage .:)
  • NickyNicky Mouse

Thx guys we are slowly getting used to the new family member:) I think he likesus. He has 3 toys in his cage .:)

If you can I would add some more even if it looks a lot to you he will love it
  • HoyleKingdomHoyleKingdom Lemming
    Hello Shaelene, I'm a new mouse owner too and am finding this forum so helpful! On top of all the other top pieces of advice, I would add that patience is definitely key to the new mouse owner. Relax, watch your beautiful new squeaker, and find out what they like playing with (my two girls like very different things!) Looking forward to hearing how you get on :)
    Thanks everyone. I recently just got 2 females mice and they are still very nervous but very cute and slowly they are getting used to me . I leave lots of toys and good food and treats and as long as they have all that they are happy and doing okay . And I know eventually they will get used to me thanks all. :)
    To all the newbies, enjoy your little companions, let them be themselves and in time, they will settle and learn to come to you. Like all small rodents, they need time to become accustomed to their new home and routine. x