Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Billy Cage for Mice?

I plan on getting some mice in the near future, and I was wondering if the IKEA Billy Cage is a good sort of Cage to keep them in...
It looks spacious enough, but I am still wary of building one if it is not right for Mice. I saw it on ErinsAnimals and she built it for her hamster, but it just made me wonder if it was good enough for Mice.
It'd be nice to receive some comments to guide me down the right path, as I want what is best for them! Also, if it is all right; how many Mice will it be able to house? I was thinking preferably one or two.
maxresdefault.jpg
1280 x 720 - 63K

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm all for utilising stuff that you already have or trying to save money but if you have to go out and buy one of these Billy bookcases brand new, there are probably good, purpose made cages available at a similar price.

I would imagine that the bookcases are chipboard with a veneer, mice will pee anywhere and I think after a while, the chipboard might become a bit damp and smelly. Hamsters are more likely to use one corner as a toilet or even use a "potty".

• paleywhaleypaleywhaley Lemming
    Ah, I see.
    I was going to go for a wooden cage as it did look rather spacious, but I knew that any pee would soak into the wood and it would begin to smell. I am on a particularly low budget at the moment, and I can't exactly afford any sort of tank (20 gallon or more), so it's kind of difficult for me to get my hands on anything that is an exception.
    I've seen many people use something like a fleece to cover the bottom of the tank and such, but I'm not 100% certain about if it could also be applied to such a cage- but it's just a thought.
    I like to give rodents the quality of life and quantity, never having kept them in small cages and such; and I would really appreciate any recommendations to large cages which are either D.I.Y or anything along those lines.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

If you're good at DIY there are endless possibilities. Do you have any second hand furniture stores nearby? One of the members of the old Mice Are Nice forum made a fabulous cage out of a coffee table with a glass top. The table had a lower shelf which provided the base of the cage and then four sides were added (which must have also included some ventilation). The whole thing was painted shabby chic style, with what I assume was a pet-safe paint.

I do wonder though with these elaborate cages, how easy they are to clean. I'm all for an easy life so I've stuck to barred cages with a plastic base and plastic accessories that are easy to wash and dry.

Unfortunately, there are no secondhand furniture stores around here as far as I know. I could search up some secondhand aquariums on eBay though? I'm sure that there will be a couple of cheap aquariums on there, or anything along the lines also.
    I do love myself a bit of D.I.Y as I have built a couple of things in the past, but right now; there isn't much I can do except for keep looking.
    I would've thought that there could have been a way to make the Billy Cage 'waterproof' somehow- as I have read about somebody doing that for their own mice, but I'm unsure.
    I'm not into barred cages or anything plastic as I much prefer anything ceramic or glass, so I suppose I should search for something that's cheap or anything in IKEA that I can make into a glass tank.
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    edited September 2016 Posts: 1,229
    I was thinking too that coated chipboard like this bookcase could end up absorbing pee and stink, which wouldn`t be good for the mice breathing it in if it was enclosed even with a mesh lid. Meshing the frontage would be better. But that doesn`t solve the absorbency issue really.

A glass tank sourced on ebay or locally could be a better solution but glass tanks are heavy. Ikea sell a long glass display cabinet called a Detolf that I`ve seen turned into a dwarf hamster housing, but mice can climb well so this would need a proper meshed lid with a frame to prevent the mice climbing over the top!

You could consider a Zoozone 1 or 2 Perspex tank, but depending on where you live in the world, these may or may not be easy to buy online or second hand. Barred cages are very good for mice because of the ventilation, but the drawback is there are not many barred cages with narrow enough bars. There are some good choices in the UK like the Ferplast Kios or the Vezarri? These have narrow bar spacing and are ideal mouse cages.

Large plastic storage containers can be made into Bin cages and there are many online tutorials on how to create one. Some are very well designed, some not so. The better ones have mesh fronts as well as lids for good visual clarity and ventilation.

• SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Looking at your picture it has 1 glass side? You could make that the bottom and build a mesh front and top?
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley.
    Never forgotten fancy girl mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex, wild mice Harry Houdini and Little Wills
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Pee could still seep to where the sides meet the bottom though?

paleywhaley - are you uk/europe or USA based or somewhere else?
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
    I completely forgot about the IKEA Detolf! To be honest, I thought it was only suitable for hamsters, but I can definitely make a meshed lid for it also!
    It's super cheap by the looks of it too!
    Thanks a lot. ^^