Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Salt licks and yogurt drops

Shaeleneangel23Shaeleneangel23 Lemming
edited September 2016 in Feeding and Nutrition
Hi guys! Just wanting to know are salt licks ok for baby mice. Say 4 weeks old? We got him a corn flavoured one today and he is just fine. Do u guys give your mice salt licks? Is it even nessicary? He is definitely not lacking anything in vitamins minerals nutriotnal value at all . He gets veggies fruits honey yogurt drops and proteins(eggs, cheeses chickens , quality cat treats ) and carefresh complete mouse mix. I'm just wondering if salt licks and yogurt drops are ok for a mouse who's only 4 weeks old . I have heard the yogurt drops are bad for mice but he seems ok with them. So are yogurt drops bad for young mice( 4 weeks old like my baby ) or mice at any age cuz he seem okay and he's had a few ? He had one today and is his happy self . He loves them yogurt drops but please tell me if they are healthy for a 4 week old baby mouse :) . I'm confused if these 2 ( salt licks and yogurt drops that is) are even nessicary or healthy. I've heard many different opinions. Thank you:)

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

Mice are just like children, they love sweet things and will leave all the healthy food in favour of sweet and high protein treats if they have half a chance. Treats are fine as long as you control how many you give him. Picture yourself in his place, a yogurt drop would probably be the equivalent to you eating a chocolate biscuit half the size of your head.

Sometimes older mice benefit from the extra minerals in a salt lick but I've found that younger mice don't normally pay them much attention.

• SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    I agree with AnnB and I think like children what we feed at an early age lays down good or bad health foundations in their later months. I recon lose the yoghurt drops and treat with more natural, 'clean' treats. A seed, a small piece of walnut, an oat flake. I think part of the treat is that you are feeding them directly (they are not just eating).
    Mum to Bosley the rat and Teddy the hamster.
    Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills and Charlie the gentle-man Rat.