Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Going to my vets tomorrow with Chubs

racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
edited September 2016 in General Rodent Chatter
I`ve put this off for a few weeks now but Chubs, my wee elderly Russian hamster has been unable to eat his dry food normally and I suspect he has either overgrown lower teeth, or something up with his teeth. I have tried getting a look in his mouth to no avail, so the best course of action is to just take him in and let the vet check his teeth and if they are overgrown or broken, they can be clipped there and then. I`m dreading it as he`s a nervous wee soul, but I`ve had to bite the bullet and make the appointment because I know he`s not eating properly and with the weekend coming up, I don`t want things becoming an emergency. A very good friend of mine will drive me in once she drops her daughter off at school so I`ll be going in for 9:30am. Otherwise I would have had to phone for a taxi there and back, so I`m relieved that my friend is free to drive me there and back.

He also has some kind of tumour under his chest area, but this isn`t something that has been bothering him at all, but the vet can re-assure me on this too, which will be good.

Ideally, I wanted to go in this afternoon but my friend wasn`t available due to other commitments, so I will have to wait until morning. Chubs is eating his soft prepared food in the meantime, so he`s eating okay, which is the main thing, but I can see he`s starting to struggle, so better to get this seen to now. Will update once he`s been seen. x

Comments

• SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    All the very best to you racingmouse and Chubs. I hope all goes well and good news to post.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Thanks Sarah. I`ve never had any previous problems with my hamsters teeth until now, but there is always a first time eh? One of my gerbils years ago had to see my vet roughly every month for his long lower tooth to be trimmed back and looking back, the poor lad would have been better having the tooth extracted, but I know that`s a big procedure for a small rodent. I didn`t much enjoy it then and will probably hope that Chub`s teeth are actually there and not broken or causing him any dental issues that will require repeat visits due to his nervous nature, poor lad. I`ll try and be in and back home as quickly as we can be. Just hope the vets is quiet and not full of yapping dogs!
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Fingers crossed that all goes well at the vets, April.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 1,165
    Thanks Ann. Will update tomorrow afternoon. Just closing my laptop down for the night. The poor lad doesn`t need this at his age but I`m hoping it`s just a case of a tooth being too long or one requiring a trim to the same length as the other. Just wish I could have got into his mouth to have a look myself but it`s so difficult not to stress him out by scruffing. I thought it would be easy and because he`s older, would just lay back in my hand but no, he fights the whole time and I just give in, not wanting to hurt or stress him out. He`s been very good at being picked up and getting a quick cuddle, but the little minx just won`t smile for me! :(|)
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    All hopes goes well for chubs.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Oh dear had a bit of a mashed potatoes brain when I did that post. Of course I ment Hope all goes well for Chubs.
    Visit went fine and Chubs saw the main vet. My old vet retired back in January and I didn`t know, so it was good to meet the new man in charge, he was very nice and just got on with it. Gently scruffed Chubs and took a strong torch to look right inside his mouth. I laid my hand on his tummy as he was making a fuss and kicking his wee legs about, but soon managed to calm him. t must be like being at the dentist from hell!!! Poor lad.

His two top teeth are there but a bit shorter than they should be. Same for the lower teeth. They are there but thankfully not overgrown, so it could be that due to the top teeth being that bit shorter, he`s not feeling able to nibble or break open his sunflower seeds or tackle anything normal. Or as the vet suggested, he`s become accustomed to the finer things in life being fed pre-prepared diner!!

His tumour...well the vet said it looked more like a warty-type thing and he certainly wasn`t going to put him under to remove it as he was a feisty little man for his age and was coping well and given his age, we both decided he would manage it.

So given hamster`s top teeth do tend to grow in again if they are lost, Chubs still has his top teeth, so I`m hoping with a mixture of what I`m feeling him and with time, his top teeth may grow little, but again, given his age, it may be a case of carry on regardless.

It cost just over £13 for the consultation which was fair given that the vet gave him a good examination, so I can`t complain. My friend ran me in and home again which saved me the taxi fares which would have come to around £10 return, so a big thanks to her, although I would always jump in a taxi if I needed to see the vet in a hurry, no question.

Just wish the vets was in my town instead of the next town! Chubs seems fine though and has been out for his tea and went back to bed, so I`m just leaving him in peace and quiet now to sleep things off. he was a little star. Even sat in my hand to have a wee wash at the vets, bless him. My friend did ask if the vet had his chain-mail gloves at the ready before we went in! Thankfully, they were not required...
    X(
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    That's great news April, I'm so relieved it went well for Chubs, hopefully he wasn't too stressed out. £13 sounds like an absolute bargain compared to what it might have been round here.
    Yes, the cost was okay Ann. I knew it would be that bit more than when the practice was under the other management and costs do tend to rise in line with everything else. The new vet is an older chap but very chatty and informed, which was great. Wasn`t a vet who just looked a bit blank and said here`s some Baytril!

Chubs has just been out sapping up some food and eaten his small piece of apple, so I`m hopeful that his two `shorter` top teeth will grow a bit and he can still manage some of his chopped up hamster food, but I`ll just continue to make his food up for him regardless as he`s doing well on that and I know he`s eating it all, drinking well and playing on his wheel during the night etc...

I can`t expect much more at this stage in his life really but to keep him well fed and happy. x
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    £13 sounds very reasonable to me :) Glad things weren't too bad. Keep on keeping on, Chubs!
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
    If my vets were in my town it would help! But I have to travel there even though it`s roughly three miles either way, it would be great to have a vet closer to home. That`s what happens when you don`t learn to drive. Something I really regret not doing when I was younger.

Chubs has been out eating again, even if it was off the end of the spoon! He eats all the food I prepare for him during the night though and if I can start getting him to take a few smaller pieces like soft chopped nuts, this might be a start, but he obviously knows what he can and can`t do, so onwards. He has a daily routine now that quite honestly, you could set your alarm clock to. I just hope I can keep him as comfortable as possible and allow him a decent life ongoing for what time he has left. He`s the first Russian dwarf I`ve kept for a long time as I had two robos and a Syrian before him as well as a Chinese hamster, but he`s been a wonderful wee character. But then, second chance hamsters are always special. x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Glad to hear it went well for chubs.£13.00 sounds a very good price wish my vets charged that.
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    :( Poor Chubs, I hope he is doing ok on the chopped food, April :( I'm having much the same problem with Flump just now - he's getting a dish full of baby food every second night to try and help prevent him getting too thin as he seems to be struggling a bit with his ordinary food even with it being chopped up. Is it worth tying that for Chubs?
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

You could still learn to drive now April, although both the lessons and owning a car are an expensive hobby. You'd probably find that for the limited journeys you want to take, getting a taxi would be the cheaper option.

My vet is several miles away (and that's in the same town that I live). My doctor is even further. I've just looked up the vet's fees and it would be £23.72 for a mouse or hamster so I'd be jumping for joy if I were you.

• SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    So pleased for you and Chubs, glad it went well and he is back on routine. Best result one could ask for.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
    Thanks everyone. I had to go grocery shopping this morning and Chubs has been sleeping so he`s glad to be back to his routine again. Must have been a big shock to his system being placed in a strange carrier and into a car and then man-handled by a vet! Even though the vet couldn`t see anything wrong, his two top teeth are very short, so I suspect these might be the issue and his front teeth don`t `meet` as they should due to the top teeth being shorter. So I will carry on regardless feeding him what he`s enjoying. Has anyone tried Ready Brek? My friend said unlike porridge, Ready Brek goes like a paste and doesn`t feel glutenous like porridge when it`s cooked? Chubs does like a small amount of cooked porridge, but I was wondering if the Ready Brek would combine better without feeling gluey?

Roz, the baby food is something I could try, like the chicken. It`s not something I`ve fed before but know that baby food is a big hit with hamsters sometimes. Are Flumps teeth okay?

I googled hamsters teeth problems yesterday and it appears that they can sometimes get teeth issues as they age. Although this is the first time I`ve dealt with it in a hamster. None of my other small pets ever had tooth issues apart from a gerbil I had who injured his two lower teeth and one fell out. It was a nightmare as the tooth kept growing into a long, sharp spike and the vet had to trim it every three or four weeks, but it didn`t stop the tooth from piercing his skin and causing it to bleed. I adored that particular gerbil too and felt gutted that this happened to him. It was a nightmare trying to keep him eating and he lost a lot of weight.

That`s why with Chubs, I`m making sure I`m covering all the foods he can have and he`s managing fine right now, but I was relieved that he didn`t have any broken or missing teeth.
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Sorry for the delay in replying April.

To answer your question, no Flumps teeth aren't ok. His top teeth have disappeared within the last few weeks so his lower teeth are growing slightly longer than they should. Other than that he is fine though, and he really does enjoy the roast chicken and veg baby food (I really don't know how people can stomach the smell of it though, it turns my stomach every time I open the sachet!!) He absolutely loves it, and I've also got him some baby porridge to go on as well. His weight has been slowly increasing this week so it seems to be doing the trick :)

I haven't tried Ready Brek though - let me know how you get on with it if you decide to try it with Chubs :)
    Thanks Roz. Seems both Chubs and Flump have the disappearing top teeth trick going on! I take small pieces of his varieties of nuts and seeds and individually `bash` them in the pestle & mortar and once I have a small pile of mixed food, I place it inside his egg box and for the past few evenings, he`s been eating it, so I know when it disappears, he`s actually managing to eat it. So although I`m still softening much of his food, I will look at the alternatives you suggested Roz as I like to make sure he`s having a variety of textures and tastes.

The tumour type growth he has is a strange one. It`s attached, but loose? When he sits by his dish eating, it sometimes rests on his front paws or just near the front of his chest. Other times, it1s underneath him? I was hoping it would fall off but it`s obviously attached to him even though it`s dangling. Had he been a year younger, I would have had it removed, but the vet thought too that it wasn`t worth the risk.

Bless him, he`s still the little run away he`s always been, but he actually looks for me now when he`s out and I hand feed him some of his food, which he seems to enjoy. I even get the odd cuddle now and then which I never used to because he wouldn`t stay out long enough!