Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Alex - poorly

I feel like I am only posting bad news, sorry. Yesterday Alex, my most tamest, delightful, gorgeous little head girl started showing the signs that Eve had. A bit unsteady on her feet and I just knew looking at her all was not well. We went to the vet last night and have Synulox and Metacam. I separated her immediately and gave the other girls a clean environment.
Alex was running on her wheel this morning and has had food and drink and loves. You might not know to look at her yet and it's really only apparent when she moves around, but I know.
I call her my 'head girl', - she is alpha female but not snappy or nasty. She went with other mice to the vet just to keep them company. You can pick her up and put her anywhere with anyone, she is stoical and gorgeous and doesn't deserve this.
Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley.
Never forgotten fancy girl mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex, wild mice Harry Houdini and Little Wills

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Fingers crossed she makes a quick recovery.
    Thanked by 1Sarahnash
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Sorry to hear this, poor thing. Get well soon Alex.
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
    Thanked by 1Sarahnash
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Very sorry to hear Alex is poorly. Hope she gets well soon.
    Thanked by 1Sarahnash
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    How is she doing today Sarah? I'll keep everything crossed for her.
    Thanked by 1Sarahnash
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Thanks all. Alex is no worse and is still eating, drinking and running on her wheel. Last night we decided to bring in Tiffany and Dylan as the upside of separation is not infecting anyone else, the downside is she would quite quickly become miserable as I am a poor substitute for a mouse! Tiffs is a gentle girl and has recovered from 2 similar (I think) infections and Dylan is the other itchy scratchy girl with only 1 ear now :( but she is just as stoical as Alex.
    If Alex stays the same (bit wobbly on her feet ands feels softer, less certain in my hands) I will bring in the others. We are just dosing Metacam x1 and Synulox x2 daily. And hoping. You're not ment to have favourites, but Alex is special. Thankfully we had last week and this week off so can spend a lot of time with them all.
    Never forgotten fancy girl mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex, wild mice Harry Houdini and Little Wills
    I'm glad that Alex hasn't gotten any worse, Sarah, and I hope that she does start to improve. I will keep my fingers crosed that the medication works for her. And I know that people say you aren't meant to have favourites, but I don't think we would be human if we didn't have a favourite or two. I know I have mine, even thougit makes me feel guilty!!
    Well it's a week today that Alex has been on her drugs. I am really happy to report she is much better !!! :) :)
    She is moving well and feels strong in my hands again. We have another week to go as the vet says two weeks to 'flush through the tissues'. I cannot say how relieved I am. How these animals come into your life, what they mean to us can only be understood by similar people. I know you understand. Losing her did not bear thinking about.
    I have reintroduced Alex, Dylan and Tiffany to the other girls and am leaving them together tonight. They can have a new world tomorrow.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    That's fantastic news Sarah, what a relief.
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    I truly believe that keeping a treatment going that bit longer is better than stopping prematurely. I found this with Baytril too. It really needs to be kept going for more than a week or even two weeks. The Synulox sounds as though it`s working against whatever was ailing Alex in combination with the Metacam. Was it respiratory related Sarah? Or did the vet suggest it was something else? What I mean is, was Alex showing any signs of breathing problems?

I was once given Duphamox drops which I think are a relation to Synulox? Can`t truly remember if they worked or not but I`m sure they didn`t. The taste was nicer than Baytril though. I ended up always being given Baytril for the mice when they has the sneezes going on, but I and my vet realised that when it wasn`t having any affect before, was because we were not doing it long enough or often enough. So I went with the `one drop of food three times a day` for a good three weeks. Worked well. x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Great news.
    Thanked by 1Sarahnash
    I think it started respiratory as I heard her clicking and ee-eeing previously. Several of the girls make that noise and I queried it with a vet nurse to ask if I should treat all with the noise or wait to see if they get ill. She said wait, see how they go. So I think was RI that became an inner ear infection (hence the loss of balance). So morale is start immediately and hit it hard. I even overdosed the syringe on Alex as Synulox has wide tolerance and an amount of it goes down my hand anyway! Especially now as she is feeling better and won't take her meds easily. Little minx! Definitely a two man job, one hand to hold Alex, one hand to distract her so I can scruff her gently with my hand whilst positioning my other hand holding syringe with droplet on end to put to her mouth.
    30 mins each syringe if we're lucky! But she is so worth it.
    And can I state for the record, though he'll never read it, my thanks to OH who stayed home last weekend when he should have been away running a marathon in Bournemouth. Cost him his train tickets, his hotel, the entry fee and several months of training so he could stay and help with Alex. Couldn't have done it without him. Big love.
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    That`s wonderful of your OH to think about Alex. Not many people would. I`m really pleased to hear the medication has had a good outcome for her. x
    :) I'm really glad to see that Alex is doing so much better and is in with some of the other girls now :) And well done to your OH for being so fantastic, it sounds like both you and Alex are lucky to have them :)