Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Wish me luck

I've had a really terrible year with my rodents, and have lost some amazing little ones in some horrendous ways. And now I have another vet visit tomorrow with Lambchop who has had a swollen eye for the last 12 weeks or so that hasn't responded to treatment. Over the last week it's become more difficult to open his eye to give him his treatments, and when I did manage to open it I can hardly see his eyeball. But I can see multiple little bloody lumps :( I'm hoping it's not tumours, but to be honest I feel like it's a losing battle as if it was anything else it would have improved by now, not still be getting worse :( I'm not even sure how comfortable he is - Lambchop has always been a very lazy mouse who spends all day in bed and only surfaces for food which is still the case. He runs whenever he hears me now though, but his other eye is still really bright and clear. If it is a tumour he won't have long, and to make it worse he's in with his lonely brother Bandit who has been pulled out of two groups now because everyone attacks him :( Bandit can't cope on his own :(

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Poor Lambchop, I'll keep everything crossed for him and hope that Bandit won't be left on his own.
    Thanked by 1zany_toon
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Oh zany I am so sorry. I really hope there is something more to be done. Good luck little Lambchop x
    Mum to Bosley the rat and Teddy the hamster.
    Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills and Charlie the gentle-man Rat.
    Thanked by 1zany_toon
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    So sorry to hear that you and your rodents have had such a rough time :( I hope Lambchop pulls through!
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
    Thanked by 1zany_toon
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Poor Lambchop I hope his eye gets better soon. Glad Bandit is with him.
    Thanked by 1zany_toon
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    It seems an always ongoing struggle with our little ones Roz and I`m sorry to hear about the recent losses and the grief that it`s causing you. It does sound as though your vet needs to determine what`s going on with Lambchop`s eye and decide if it`s causing any pain or might become worse. That`s sometimes the frustrating thing about vets. They try to do their best, but it can be swings and roundabouts with treatments.

I don`t think my Chubs (dwarf hamster) will last long now either. I thought he would be away this morning as his body was cold and weak yesterday. He also has a growth that has bled, but he`s a strong will and is proving me wrong. He`s not emerging much from his bed, but he`s still eating a little soft food bless him. I`m not having a good time myself dealing with my pain and now wee Chubs is on his way out. It`s soul destroying, it really is. 

:(
    Thanked by 1zany_toon
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Thanks for your lovely thoughts and well wishes everyone. I'm sory I didn't update sooner, but the last two night's I've not managed online before midnight and have been too tired to do anything and check for vet related emails!!

Anyway, Lambchop saw Laura on Monday night. At the present minute she thinks it could be a really bad case of conjunctivitis (unlikely though as he hasn't passed it to his other eye or to anyone else :( ) or a type of infecion that she has seen in cats before (sorry, I can't remember the name of it :( ) She can't rule out a tumour, but is willing to take swabs from both the surface of Lambchop's eye and from the eyelid itself (which has now started to split it's so swollen :( ) It means he's had to come off all meds for it just now so they are out of his system for when she does the tests, and he will need knocked out briefly. Hopefully the swabs will grow in culture and let Laura pinpoint the infection, or show what it is if it isn't an infection :( In terms of treatment, it may be targeted antibiotics (dependent on the results), removing his eye (which he might not survive as he struggled to come around from the anaesthetic when he was neutered) or having him put to sleep if those options are ruled out :( So we are very far from being out of the woods yet :(

I've managed to find some one who has some mice for Bandit as active company so will be picking up a friend or two at the weekend but won't introduce them until Lambchop has had his tests done at the vet (Tuesday next week.)

April, I'm really sorry to hear about little Chubs :( He's been such a lovely little hamster, and such a cheeky little man too. I hope that if he does decide that it's his time to go to the bridge that he goes quietly in his sleep :( ((hugs))
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    I`m really please that you managed to find some friends for Lambchop Roz and I hope he finds comfort soon the wee man. It`s never too bad if it`s a problem you can manage and he can live with. So hopefully that will be the case.

Sadly, I found Chubs dead in his nest this morning. He had not eaten well or at all yesterday and stayed in his nest. I was hoping he was just having a bad episode and would come round, but it wasn`t so. I had a feeling when I saw him wobbly the other morning that his time was near. I can`t express the emptiness I feel now walking into my room and he`s not there.
    :(

I don`t plan to look for another small pet right away because I`m having personal health and other issues just now and I know my focus just wouldn't be there, so I`m taking a tie out and then will see where life takes me. I`m totally gutted as it feels like losing an arm, but I have to try and cope and get on with life and take things a day at a time. I will miss him like crazy. x
    Zany - I really hope the tests are sucessful in finding a reason and hopefully a treatment and cure. Good luck to you and Lambchop for next week. I haven't asked how you were doing as sometimes there is a sad, bad reason for not posting, but I thought of you.
    Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills and Charlie the gentle-man Rat.
    Thank you all for your lovely comments, and for thinking of me. (I appreciate it Sarah, there have been a few things going on here but nothing too major, I just haven't had much time with it all. I'm hoping to be far more active soon though. Part of the reason i haven't been active on the forum this month is because I made the mistake of agreeing to do Inktober with my friend from work so have had that on top of ill dog, ill mice, new mice, normal day to day stuff and the weekly animal things too!)

I unfortunately have sad news :( The Friday night before Lambchop was due to go to the vets again he became clammy, cold and something was going on in his stomach :( He seemed really very ill although the swelling in his eye had reduced to half of what it was. I phoned the vet to cancel asking him in as I was sure he wouldn't make it. By Sunday night he had lost half his body weight, and some of his fur. He seemed to perk up again a little on Monday and was eating again but by Tuesday night I knew he definitely wouldn't have much longer :( He passed away a few hours afterwards :( Bandit his brother is really missing him and hasn't been himself since Lambchop passed away despite having some new company (more on them once I get more photos.) I'm hoping he perks up a bit with time, but an concerned as his respiratory infection has been worse the last few days and I think it's because he is so stressed and lonely without Lambchop :(
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

I'm so sorry about Lambchop. I'm glad you were able to get Bandit some company and I hope he perks up soon.

Inktober sounds like a challenge.

• NickyNicky Mouse
    So sorry to hear about Lambchop.
    AnnB said:

I'm so sorry about Lambchop. I'm glad you were able to get Bandit some company and I hope he perks up soon.

Inktober sounds like a challenge.

Thank you for the condolences Ann. Lambchop wasn't a very active mouse, but he was very sweet :( Bandit is only just starting to show a bit of interest in his new friends so I'm hoping he perks up soon as well.

And yes, inktober has been a challenge. It's involved doing a new ink drawing to a set theme every single day. It's been fun, but it's been difficult fitting it in sometimes.
    Nicky said:

So sorry to hear about Lambchop.

Thanks Nicky.
    Oh I am so sorry to hear about Lambchop. Goodnight little man. I do hope Bandit gets better.
    Thanked by 1zany_toon