Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Clipping Dwarf Nails?

Archie's nails are getting a bit long, and I'm considering the likelihood that I'll have to clip his nails at some point.

Does anyone have any tips on how to clip a dwarf hamster's nails? I can't imagine it's easy :-/
Hamster: Archie
Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Hi MouseLover. It can be a two man job! Before my Chubs passed on, his back foot nails had become longer too and although I had him at the vet a few weeks previous to this, it never occurred to me to ask the vet to trim them while I was there.

Because they can sometimes squirm and not sit still, wrapping the body on a towel of face cloth and exposing the back feet and ONLY clip off the ends. Human nail clippers can be used safely. I have heard some people say allow the hamster or mouse to stand on a wire tray so the nails can be seen better coming through the mesh below, but I`m not sure if this method is any safer as the hamster could just keep walking about on the mesh.

Do one or two nails at a time rather than do them all at the same time. YouTube should have an Erinshamsters video on this so google that perhaps? She may have a good tutorial. x
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    I've had to do this to a few of mine now, and poor little Flump has to get his done on a regular basis! I can only suggest the things I've tried to see if they help you out. Some one told me that if the nails are straight that you could have your hamster/mouse etc walk inside a sieve and clip the tips of the nails as they come through the holes but I had no luck with that. I found the easiest way for me was to scruff my hamster and clip one paw's worth of claws at a time, just being careful to nip the ends off. I'd leave it a few days before repeating the process with another paw. I always make sure to give my hamster/mouse a really tasty treat the second I let go of them and give it to them in my hand so that they know that they are getting something nice after being scruffed. Another thing that I found worked was if you have a bar climbing hamster that you can nick the tip off of a claw as the claw is wrapped around a bar for climbing :P