Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Elfins toe?

Not long after we got our dwarf hamster Elfin I noticed one of her toes was a bit odd,as in a little swelled up.To be honest I put it down to an injury from fighting (she was split from her sister) so have kept an eye on it. As time has gone on even though it doesn't seem to bother her I have started to suspect it may be a tumour as it looks like a purple blob (Hope this makes sense) Last night when I checked it the end was black I couldn't make out if this was blood or infection. I will happily take her to the vet but not sure of their knowledge in this area. Any ideas would be most welcome.

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Hi Nicky. It is worrying when these things crop up. It could be injury and a blood blister or bruised blood has gathered or as you say, it could be a small tumour. Is her claw still in the toe? If it isn`t, it could be a pulled claw too, so have a look for the claw. If the claw is still there and the swelling has got worse/larger, then a vet visit may be needed just to give you peace of mind, but the vet could either say what it actually is or just send you away with antibiotics if they feel it`s infection. It could be an infected bite wound or some kind of abscess. x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you racing mouse I will have a good look for the claw, I never thought of that.If not a trip to the vets will be next.
    Another wee tip is to use a magnifying glass to get a good close up of the toe Nicky. If you wear glasses like me, I need one!!!
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Yes I do so yes I will x
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

My mouse, Teasel had a swollen toe when I got him and I think he'd lost a claw too. The swelling did go down after a couple of weeks though. As well as checking the lack of claw with a magnifying glass, it's also worth checking she hasn't lost circulation due to a fibre strand caught around the toe.

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Thanks Ann will do.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Well a bit of good news, it looks like the nail was missing and its starting to heal.And the black has gone so fingers crossed.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Great news!
    \:D/ Good guess then! Glad that`s the case and it`s not a tumour or anything else nasty. x
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Excellent news.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and Teddy the hamster.
    Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills