Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Ooh they're nearly here!!

Several new mice coming from the wonderful Little Bud Mousery up north. Hannah has sent me four does and a buck via a friend. These are some update images on them, as last time I posted they were tiny. They're now 7 weeks old:

This is the buck. In memory of my dear old chum Basil, all future solitary bucks (as far as possible) will get a name starting with "B". Think of it like the characters who get to be "M" in a James Bond movie (Olivia Mansfield (Dench), Gareth Mallory (Feinnes). Daft I know, but anyway, let me first of all introduce Benjamin, the new "B":

And now the does, not yet pre-named, in part because I suspect I'm going to have a handful with this first one and so her character needs to be allowed to come out first. So, first the blue:

Then the sealpoint doe (I am in love already!!):

And lastly, the bluepoint does, plus the blue (I think):

I'm so looking forward to seeing them. It's been a difficult few months one way and the other and some light relief in the form of comedic mouse antics will be most welcome.

Jon

IMG_0935.JPG
1600 x 1200 - 107K
IMG_0936.JPG
1600 x 1200 - 141K
IMG_0937.JPG
1600 x 1200 - 146K
IMG_0938.JPG
1600 x 1200 - 176K
Ask not what your rodent can do for you...

Comments

• NickyNicky Mouse
    They are really beautiful. Your going to have lots of fun with that little gang.
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    They are really very beautiful :) I love love love Benjamin, he's gorgeous.
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Beautiful mice jon. It`s great when you manage to source what your after. I`m sure they will have characters of their own in no time!
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    They are beautiful, congratulations and thank you for the pictures.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    edited October 2016 Posts: 631
    They are beautiful Jon, and no wonder you are desperate to get your hands on them!! I love that you have decided to name all your solitary boys names starting with B in honour of Basil, it's a very lovely tribute :)
  • JonJon Lemming
    edited October 2016 Posts: 133
    He he he, thank you ZT and everyone.

Benjamin and his four as yet unnamed sisters are now with me. B is a little timid, as is the blue doe. But the others are unbelievably friendly! All over me like we were long-lost pals. I've never known new mice like it (except perhaps Niffler, but that was love at first sight I think).

Here's a smartphone photo after I got them home on Saturday night. They were exhausted after their long trip across the country and then induction to a strange environment:

And this is Benjamin:

HO new mice 34.jpg
    2500 x 1875 - 821K
    Benjamin 1.jpg
    2500 x 1733 - 557K
    Bless them. Hope they have settled now jon.
  • JonJon Lemming

Bless them. Hope they have settled now jon.

They're OK thanks. All sleeping... biding their time no doubt.

Have just ordered a Really Useful Box and some mesh panels to make a nice new habitat for either the girls or Benjamin.

• SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Delicious. All the very best with them, you must be so pleased.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • JonJon Lemming
    Yeah, "B" is doing well. A little better each day. He's temporarily in what I regard as inadequate housing for a sole male, a medium-ish sized plastic storage box. I've got an 84 litre Really Useful Box and some gauze panels coming in a day ot two, so his cramped quarters will be brief.

The ladies are hilarious. Put the lights down and out they all come and they are all over everything. Really good, healthy mice and very keen to get to know you.

Mice really are fantastic pets. I miss having them and hope one day I can have another small group of females.
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Awww, they are gorgeous Jon :D I'm so glad they have settled in well :) I can't wait to hear more of what they are getting up to :D
  • JonJon Lemming
    Below is an aerial view of Dusty (big sealpoint) and the as-yet unnamed little sealpoint, with the blue nearby and one of the bluepoints top left.

The two sizes of sealpoint seemed to have formed some kind of committee. They are always going around together.

All are very friendly and come up their ramp and onto the cage top to see me. The blue is the most skittish, but she's lovely once you catch her. The two bluepoints are distinguishable only by their size at the moment.

Dusty and new mice.jpg
    1500 x 1220 - 465K
    So pretty Jon, thanks for putting more photos up. They all seem to be thriving.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Love the photos :\">
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    They're lovely :) 
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Gorgeous <3 

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• JonJon Lemming
    Thank you everyone.

Benjamin is hilarious; nervous yet also friendly and inquisitive. Same as his litter mates. Junior Sealpoint (not named her yet) totes around with old Aunt Dusty and Snuffles (small bluepoint) and Bluepoint Major (not yet named either but bigger than Snuffles) are kind of free agents. Blue (still working on a name for her and all), is the epitome of "timid but just has to know". She is so perfect it's breathtaking. Uniformly blue-grey from head to tail and sleek as silk.

This was Junior Sealpoint the other night:

Snuffles 1.jpg
    2000 x 1577 - 626K
    You have them easting out of your hand already Jon, how sweet!
  • JonJon Lemming
    edited November 2016 Posts: 133
    Hannah did such a good job of rearing them that they were already "human curious" when they arrived. Since then, I've worked on them some more and each evening open the lid and hide a couple of bits of something at the top of their ramp. They already come out anyway, but this really gets them interested. Gruyere cheese is a huge favourite.

I'm delighted to report that Dusty, Basil's daughter and now Aunty of the girl's dorm, seems to be thriving much better now she has company.