Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

What do you feed your rodents?

I am curious to hear what other people here feed their pets :) just out of curiosity, and maybe I'll learn of something I haven't tried.

The mice are currently on a mix from Rat Rations (No 7 with soya, no garlic) and the Supreme Science Selective Mouse food. Archie the dwarf hamster is on the Burgess Dwarf Hamster Harvest food.

What do your little ones eat?
Hamster: Archie
Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I make up a mix consisting of wheat, barley, a bit of maize, pea flakes, puffed rice, millet and a few mealworms. I used to have quite a few mice so it made sense to make up about 20kg at a time but it does seem a bit daft these days when I only have two mice.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    For the mice i make a mix which has ,fruity rabbit, barley, rolled oats, brown rice, dried pasta and I also add some rat ration mix in and a few mealworms. The hamsters are on Burgess dwarf and my Syrian is on Harry hamster.
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    I really liked the rat rations mixes for my mice and although I could probably use the huge bags again now I don't have the space for storing them like I used to :( So, instead, my mice get a mix of two different types of JR Farm rat mixes, a JR farm mouse food, fibre flakes, science selective rat food, organic cornflakes, puffed rice, walnuts, budgie seed and occasionally they get some mealworms, porridge oats or other nuts added in.

My dwarf hamster Flump gets the JR Farm dwarf hamster mix with some burgess dwarf hamster food mixed in whereas my syrians get the burgess hamster food or some bunny dream (depends on their mood as they are fussy little monsters!!)

Then the rats get Science selective rat food, the same rat foods and cereals that the mice get and then some dried pasta thrown in :)

As for treats, digestive biscuits, Cheerios, malt paste, sweetcorn (especially for the rats), peas, and mealworms are all loved :)
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    My girls are fed twice a day. Morning meal is just science supreme for mice and the evening meal is a mixture of 'reggie rat and mimi mouse' mix with a bit of science supreme and some fresh veg. ' Fresh' could be brocolli, peas, sweetcorn, carrot, mini cucumber, blueberries, kiwi, strawberry tops, lettuce, potato, cooked and uncooked rice, dry pasta. But not all of it all at once!
    The boys get fed once a day and is mixture of all of the above hidden in various places.
    The boys also get more oat flakes than the girls.  All girls get treats from the hand. Treats would be pumpkin seeds, a pistacio nut, Cheerios (oh the sound of 6 little girls all munching on a cheerio is delightful), a bit of my toast, walnut, rich tea biscuit, digestive biscuit, (little bits not a whole biscuit!). Girls like a weekly meal worm, boys don't.
    Walnuts in their shells are in the Christmas shops and I gave a whole walnut to both boys and girls. It gets moved around and hidden and attacked occasionally but no one has broken in yet.  Oh yes, peanut butter or malt paste smeared on science supreme pieces means the 'proper' food gets eaten.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Thanks for responding everyone. It's interesting to see what other people feed their little ones :) You all use such different mixtures!

As for fresh fruit/veg, I tend to just give all the rodents a little bit of whatever I'm having. E.g. if I'm preparing a mushroom risotto for dinner, I'll just put a bit of mushroom aside for everyone, or if I'm eating an apple, I'll cut off a little piece.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • SummergirlSummergirl Lemming
    Is Science Selective for rats OK for mice?
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I don't see why it shouldn't be alright for mice, you might just have to break up the biscuits if they are large.
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse

Is Science Selective for rats OK for mice?

Yep :) and it's just the right size for mice (the science selective for mice is larger, you'd think it would be the other way around - it's very bizarre!!)
    I have been using a seed mix, and I am trying to get them switched over slowly. At first, I moistened the pieces and put them in their veggie dish. Then I scattered them about the cage. From what I read, it seems to be good for skin and coat. One little girl is picking on herself. I am afraid she is obsessive. The other four and fat and healthy. (not too fat, just right).

There has been no squeaking or chasing, so I know the others aren't doing it to her. She still eats good, but looks pitiful.
    Little Niki had to be put to sleep today. Her friend, who she loved the most, is sleeping in the spot where Niki slept. It is so sad. There are three of them, but this was the one she loved the most. Is there anything I can do?
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    Mice do grieve the death of their friends, and the only thing you can really do is give it time :( At least she is not alone, she will probably find comfort in her other friends. Maybe a new toy or some fun play time will help distract her, but she probably just needs a little time.

Sorry for your loss xx
    Thank you for your response. I was thinking of changing the cage so there would be no smell of Niki. But I hate to disturb them further. Maybe tomorrow.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I'm so sorry to hear about Niki. As MouseLover says, the others will probably just need time to accept and adjust.
    The other two were up for breakfast, but Niki's little friend is still sleeping in Niki's favorite spot. I hope she will soon sleep with the others.
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    So sorry to hear of your loss. RIP little Niki.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini