Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

4 year old mouse

ScoutTheRatScoutTheRat Lemming
edited October 2016 in General Rodent Chatter
Hey there, not sure if this is the right place to post but... my mouse has lived to 4 years so far. He's still looking healthy and active fortunately! So my question is, has anyone else had a mouse live this long? I heard that average life for a mouse is 2 years, not sure if that's right though.

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    I`ve never personally heard of a mouse living for four years but that`s not to say they can`t! I think my oldest male mouse was around 2 years and three months, or thereabouts. The only way to know their age for certain is to know their age when you fist get them and keep a diary. Sadly, respiratory problems and tumours lessen their lives so unfairly.
  • ScoutTheRatScoutTheRat Lemming
    I've had him for almost all his life, since he was 3 months old! =) He was almost snake food, but the snake didn't want him so I got to keep him. Feeder mice only live to about a year, so it's surprising how long hes lastsd. I'm really hoping he doesn't get any tumours or problems. The only thing I've noticed about him is that he seems to be going deaf. Usually when I tap the cage he wakes up, but now he'll sleep through it as if he didn't hear me. He's also lost some fur around his unusually small eyes.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Four years is an amazing age for a mouse. Most of my male mice have only lived for around 2 years.
  • MouseLoverMouseLover Lemming
    My oldest mouse was 2 years and 7 months old.
    4 years is exceptionally long. I'd say the average lifespan for a mouse is anywhere from 1.5 - 2 years!
    Hamster: Archie
    Mice: Honey, Violet, Flora, Fauna and Merryweather.
    Rainbow Bridge: Daisy, Peach, Ivy, Penelope, Hazel, Ruby, Clover, Peanut, Minnie, Ginger
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Second that - 4 years is amazing. I haven't had much longevity in my girls, some passed away without even reaching a year. Well done and may his life continue to be full and happy. X
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • AthiriAthiri Lemming
    I had a wood mouse that lived to four years but I've never heard of a fancy or feeder mouse living that long.
  • JonJon Lemming
    Just read this thread. Wow! That is incredible longevity for a mouse. As one of the above posts, I've only ever seen them do 2 years and 3 months.

Got any photos of him?
    Ask not what your rodent can do for you...
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    I have 2 elderly wild boy mice. They are how I got into mice (caught them under the fridge, couldn't kill them, couldn't send them out, gave them a forever home). They have been in captivity since June 2015. Don't know how old they were when I caught them, but they had their boy bits if that tells anything? They are looking old now and one is very thin and drinks a lot. But they scoot about and eat well and I think are happy. They are Harry and Wills. Harry has become more tame and will beg for and receive walnut pieces when in one of their cages. He takes them and doesn't run away to eat, he stays at the bars and I whisper to him. Nurture not nature wins this time!
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini