Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Getting my first 2 rats

Hi everyone. This week I will be getting my first 2 male rats. Now these 2 are brothers and do not fight at all.

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Congrats. Are you in the UK? Wasn`t sure. Male rats that are brothers can get on well as a pair. Female rats do co-habit better in small groups. I`ve owned three rats myself (a single male and then two brothers) all came from rescue. Then I rehomed three males from someone and sadly had to rehome them. I wouldn`t do it now, but at that time, I had no choice. They went to a ratty owner though so I knew she would adore them.

Are your rats coming from a pet shop or rescue?
  • Shaeleneangel23Shaeleneangel23 Lemming
    They are from
    A pet shop .
    I live in Canada BC .
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Rats are nice pets, but like mice, they can be very prone to respiratory ailments (mainly derived from Mycoplasma bacteria) so make sure you have a good vet who can prescribe Baytril if and when required. It`s an oral liquid antibiotic that can be laced in food.

Tumours can also arise, but if your rats have a good varied diet (google the `Shunamite Diet for Rats`) you can get some good ideas from the lists.

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Exciting news, I hope you'll be able to post some photos when they've settled in.