Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Wild mouse has mated with my females

SallySally Lemming
edited November 2016 in Breeding
I have six female mice. Five days one of them gave birth, so I took them to a rodent expert to find the male and he told me they are indeed all females. As you can imagine I was a bit shocked. He went on to tell me that a wild mouse has probably got into my shed and mated with the females. I still couldn't believe this until I just went back out to the shed and saw him jumping off of my cage. I have at least another two pregnant females who are due to give birth tonight by the looks of it. I have been told that the babies should be fine, stronger than fancy mice with less health problems and that these will live longer. I just can't believe this has happened. Does anyone have any experience with this happening. Many thanks

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

Hi Sally and welcome to the forum.

Although this has never happened to me, I have heard of wild mice getting into mouse breeders' sheds and managing to get into the cages. There's obviously nothing you can do now about the mice who are already pregnant but I would think carefully about how you can secure their accommodation as a wild buck will continue to try and get in and may bite the toes and tails of any mice he can't quite reach. He may also harm the babies (and I would imagine that if he can squeeze into the cage, the babies would be able to get out too).

There is just one other possibility though, is it possible your mice were already pregnant before you got them?

• SallySally Lemming
    Hi Ann, they definitely wasn't pregnant before I had them. I have had them nearly three months. I have set a trap to catch the little guy. Hopefully I have caught him.
  • SallySally Lemming
    Went out to check this morning and found the little mouse tucked up in bed with my girls. I don't know who was more surprised me or him. He got out before I could catch him. He got in through the bars where the water bottle is. So I have moved the bottle.
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Might be a better idea to move the mice indoors? He knows they are in the shed now so will come back again. Just doing what his instincts tell him! Are you in the UK?
  • SallySally Lemming
    He has been caught.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

Where there's one wild mouse, there are usually some more but hopefully now that you've moved the water bottle they won't be able to get into the cage.