Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

MITES

Treatments and preventatives? Im pretty sure my eldest boy Noodle has mites, at first i thought it might just be old age scabby skin, but one of my healthiest is also itching. 

My two baldy fuzzies are not...is this due to their fur type?

Anyway, whats the best treatment for mites and do i have to get rid of all their toys now? :(

Comments

• BaggyMousersBaggyMousers Mouse
    Oh and one more thing, what can i rub on my old buck to help soothe his dry flakey skin? Especially with the sore broken bits from his itching?
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    For treatment my recommendation would be Xeno 50 mini :) It's an ivermectin drop on treatment that you can use on small rodents and the number of drops varies by weight. It's a lot more accurate than a lot of the options that are out there. You use it once a fortnight for 6 weeks to get rid of existing mites and eggs that are on the mice :) I think fuzzy mice can get mites - I know my boy Bandit has mite eggs just now, but he doesn't seem to have actually mites running around on him the way his cagemate does. I'm not sure if they move to another host afterwards?

As for toys, I found it easiest to get rid of anything cardboard. Any wooden stuff you can get rid of, but I found that with mine I managed to clear mites by soaking in a diluted animal safe disinfectant then drying them out in the oven worked (I tied the freezer as an option but always ended up with more mites.) Prevention can be varied though, and everyone has different methods for that. For me, I now use the mite treatment on the mice once every 8 weeks (more if there is an outbreak) and spray the cage and toys (any that wooden) with a flea treatment (I use RIP flea)  - just do so in a well ventilated area away from any animals and make sure you follow the instuctions. I've found doing that has really helped with mine but in the past I've found using diamatomous earh and cage and hutch mite sprays worked well - it's just not as effective now because of the numbers I have!!)

As for your buck, I'm not sure what might be best for his skin. I think the xeno 50 mini isn't to be used on broken skin to get rid of existing mites, but you could use a cotton bud to rub the xeno around his fur away fom the broken areas. You can get a tea tree cream or animal creams containing colloidal silver that helps but offhand I can't remember off hand how effective they are :( A lot of creams can really draw an animal's attention which can make them scratch even more. I did try this spray in the past and found it worked really well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AVIx-Soother-Soothing-Spray-Parrots/dp/B004TA9RYC

I hope that helps Georgia :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    edited November 2016 Posts: 936

I can't add much to what Roz has already said, especially the point about creams making mice scratch even more. If I do have itchy mice with sore skin, I use the Diatomaceous Earth mite powder instead of the Xeno and I use Lamisil anti-fungal cream.

I also hoover the whole house more than I usually would!

Thank you so much for the great replies. Fully informative and i will buy and try the suggested! I have some xenon 50 mini and spent a lot of money today on new toys for them! All the wood is going and i will thoroughly disinfect the cage, and plastics. Sadly most of my cage is wood (silly me).

I will post updates on Noodle's skin and hope he gets better quickly, he is my oldest mouse and has no other health problems that i know of, i'd hate this to seriously affect him. 
    Some of their newer wooden toys I will try the disinfectant and drying out in the oven!
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    I agree on the Xeno mini......don't use diamatomous earth, though; I read that it works by basically shredding fleas up, it's tiny sharp bits, so can harm animals' respiratory systems if inhaled. 

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    I also agree on the Xeno, I also have the DiaEarth ready to use but following Kawaii comment I may hum-ha about it. Also I boil my wood toys and scrub, then dry throughly and freeze. Not much withstands that!
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
    So I've had them basically quarantined for three weeks in a much smaller cage with cardboard toys (changed weekly) and plastics (also washed weekly) And have given them two lots of mite treatment now, Xeno minis. 

They are definitely a lot better! Appreciate all the advice!
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I'm so glad you're seeing an improvement.
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    I found it an odd thing that some girls scratched some didn't and the vet said this could be true. Some had mites and were also otherwise stressed they would react and scratch but some had mites and not stressed and not scratch. Treated them all. Glad yours are improving.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini