Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Poorly Prince : Steam and Diet Questions

So Prince is poorly. :( 

His breathing 'clicks' and sometimes he makes sad little 'peeping' sounds (like a baby bird) and is heaving quite badly, as well as being lethargic and only wanting to sit hunched up in the corner with his eyes squashed shut. 

I noticed 2 days ago and got him a  vet appointment as soon as possible, I think he might have inhaled some of the chinchilla dust in his litter as the petshop ran out of the sand I normally use and the dust is much finer. Either that or it could have been the hay I give him to chew and nest in; both hay and dust have been removed now. 
Apparently he has a respiratory infection, he's been to the vet today and I was given Sulfratrim (0.05 ml twice a day) and (Meloxicom 0.1 ml twice a day) and told to try steam therapy. 

But the vet didn't say how long for, does anyone know ? I know i should do it twice a day but for five minutes? Ten? Longer? 

And in terms of diet and hydration...he doesn't want to eat right now, he feels snuffly and lethargic and awful and seems content to sleep all the time (which I think anyone who has ever had flu can attest to pretty well! who doesn't just want to sleep all the time when they are sick, after all?). But obviously hamsters have such fast metabolisms that it's important he gets food and water regularly. Would this work as a food substitute (he has a bowl of Harry Hamster in his cage and a bowl of Harry Hamster crushed up with water as well. I tried giving him some from a spoon but he refused it): http://emeraid.com/emeraid-omnivore/ ;
Also, how do you tell if a hamster/rodent is dehydrated? Can you do the pinch test as you can on humans ? 

Heartfelt thanks to you all <3 

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

I imagine the steam therapy will be difficult to achieve without stressing him out even more, I'd worry that I would put him too near the steam and it would burn him, or too far away and he would just have all the stress without the benefit. Perhaps a google search will come up with some more info.

I've never heard of the Emeraid Omnivore so I can't offer any advice there I'm afraid.

Yes the pinch test works well, on the scruff of the neck and you can sometimes check the colour of the flesh on the bottom eyelids to see if it looks more pale than normal.

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Food-wise, I would do this:

Take some of his normal hamster food and add a few sweeteners like wheat biscuits or tea biscuit. Mash these up using a pestle & mortar until they are dust or crumbs. Add a drop of water one at a time until you have a marzipan type of consistency. Take a small piece of the mash and offer these in small pieces. I had to do this every day when my Russian dwarf`s top teeth were shorter than his bottom teeth and he was elderly. He really enjoyed it. Wasn`t ideal but he stopped being able to eat his food as it was.

If you are in the UK, buy a bag of Supreme Science Selective hamster biscuits as these are heart-shaped and are easy to soften in water or break up. Very handy when you have an ill small animal or an elderly one.

Steaming I wouldn`t bother with. Too risky and when a mouse or a hamster has these breathing problems, they are best left alone to rest and just make sure they are medicated and kept hydrated. It`s so easy to try to intervene too much and it`s best to allow the immune system to kick in. Make things easy for Prince and quiet. Protocol goes out the window when they are ill, but it`s better to keep them eating and drinking and medicated until the breathing improves. Also don`t be tempted to use any olbas oils or anything else. These are just irritants to small animals and do more harm than good. Just thought I should mention this as the internet can give this advice and it`s not going to help.

Fingers crossed Prince is feeling better in a few days. x
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Steam was recommended to me for mouse with RI, I didn't do it but thought about sitting in the shower room with her for a while whilst running a hot shower (not sitting in the shower;not getting wet!). Like treating children with croup.
    For food when they are poorly I just try all the treat things like biscuit and malt paste and peanut butter (that's for mice I don't know what you treat hammies with). I figure getting any calories in is preferable to not. Only my opinion though.
    I do hope he gets well, all the best Kawaii.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Well I think he is feeling better - been bitten twice today when trying to give him the loxicom!  Lol! Much more like my normal feisty boy! 
    And re. steam, I HAVE been doing it (only just got on to check here sorry so didn't see your advice!), using a carrier lid upside down resting on some mesh over a deep dish of warm ish water. So not too hot to burn. I think he quite likes it, it seems to make him more lively afterwards, and his eyes are brighter post-steaming, anyway. He dozed off in there today, don't know if that's a good thing or not...

(Thank you for the advice but I feel like to not follow the vet's advice would be playing with fire too much. T Not knocking your experience at all racing mouse though!)

In terms of food he is sort of eating I think? Well he is actually going up to the food bowl now and pouching the tasty bits, but whether or not he is actually eating them, I have no idea; I've not SEEN him eating. But the food is going somewhere and he tends to sleep on top of it. 

I melted a one-pence-piece sized bit of cheddar cheese over the Harry Hamster yesterday to tempt him and and he licked a bit of Webbox Chicken Yoghurt (it's intended for cats) off a spoon. So has consumed a bit. I weighed him and he's not lost any weight at least, and I did the pinch test and it wasn't exactly perfect but could be much much worse. 

Prince's breathing is a bit quieter now. I mean before, you could hear it coming upstairs even if the bedroom was shut. Now, you have to be quite close to notice anything wrong at all, which is definitely an improvement. :) 

(chins for the win!)

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I'm so pleased to hear he's responding to the treatment, fantastic news!
    It is good news to hear he is improving.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Another update - I saw him drink today. Twice in fact. Once from the bowl and once from the bottle.
    :)

(chins for the win!)

Goodgoodgood. So pleased.