Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Rawhide for mice?

I could not resist buying a 'rawhide train' for the girls (mice) from Petsathome.  It is intended for dogs and would be a chew toy for them; for mice it would be for climbing on and sleeping in! The engine and carriages are spacey enough to put some bedding in or hide treats.
I researched (Google!) whether rawhide would be OK for mice (not poisonous) and as always there are mixed opinions.  Some sites say beware as it goes mushy when chewed and is a choking hazard - but this was advice for dogs.   Another mouse site said it was a good thing for them to chew on to wear down the teeth.  Suffice to say if they chewed it too much or I was in any way concerned it would come out.
I wanted your advice please before I put it in next week for their Christmas special!
Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley.
Never forgotten fancy girl mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex, wild mice Harry Houdini and Little Wills
Tagged:

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Hmmmm, rawhide is just that isn`t it, the hide from a deceased cow or other animal? I would imaging the mice will have a nibble at it or pee all over it! 3:-O
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Yep. Cow or beef hide.   I guess very fattening like any animal skin product, so would take it out if Kelly started eating it. Little-Big / Big-Little Kells is way too overweight. First and last to the food bowl that girl. We tell her and she says 'get lost, it's mostly fur'... :)
    Never forgotten fancy girl mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex, wild mice Harry Houdini and Little Wills
    It`s my metabolism!!! :@) I`ve had a few like that. Slimline larger mice and podgy little fluffs!
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

Giving rawhide to the mice is something I've never considered. I had to stop giving the chews to my old dog because he'd only chew them for a short while before trying to swallow them but I can't see that being an issue for the mice. There do seem to be mixed opinions (google search) and if you were at all concerned you could just give them the rawhide train on monitored play sessions.

Good advice Ann. I remember my dog (Labrador) trying to swallow those chews as well after chewing them until they were that white colour and choking. Thankfully he never did choke, but prevention is better than cure.
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    I'd be worried about them getting too much protein. After all too much cat food is said to make little rodents itchy and cat/dog biscuits tend to be meat + vegetables. Whereas this seems to be just raw meat. Maybe just give it for supervised play times?

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    I hadn't considered the protein aspect. Will try it during play time.