Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Where are all the mice?

racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
edited December 2016 in General Rodent Chatter
I did a google/Gumtree search today just out of curiosity to see if there were any mice for sale/adoption/free in Central Scotland and found none. Most if not all were down south, English regions and Wales. I thought, where have all the mice gone? I know it`s never easy sourcing mice anyway but some do tend to appear from time to time from accidental litters or individuals who have bred them for feeders, but mice really are becoming a rare commodity as far as I could see.

I would imaging there are copious amounts of feeder breeders out there supplying the reptile trade, but I suppose they don`t advertise `live` mice and only sell wholesale to pet shops or private individuals. Just thought it strange and sad really.

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

I know, I couldn't find any either (even down south) when I was looking recently although I did notice two free to good home locally this weekend - typical now there's no more room here.

I suppose on the plus side, perhaps it means that people have stopped breeding on a whim, without any idea who they are going to rehome the babies to.

• staceyspetmicestaceyspetmice Lemming
    I have noticed that too. Taking a break from owning mice there was more ads for mice back when I wasn't really looking, now I am looking, I've found one that's pretty close but it's giving me less hope for options when I do become a mouse mummy again in the new year. I just hope I can find more for when it comes around to getting mice again. 
  • BaggyMousersBaggyMousers Mouse
    I just spotted a mousery i hadn't heard on Facebook near Bristol, called Sniffs and Squeaks, the beautiful babies on there look just divine. 
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Glad it`s not just here then as I knew mice were not as popular like hamsters/gerbils.etc...I suppose it`s one of those scenarios if we were looking at the tight time some mice would appear every so often. I have to say though most of the mice I kept came from other people and were always further away and I had to get help to bring them to me. The only three I had that I bought were from a pet shop that bred their own and that was a while back.

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Don't look on Gumtree today April, unless you want to be tempted by a little mouse in Dundee.
    Dundee is too far for me anyway Ann and the timing isn`t right at the moment sadly. It would be heart over head as usual if I looked online and jumped in to take on a new pet just now. Just the sort of `ad` I would jump at though if things were right.
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,230
    Had a quick look. She`s tan and white and on her own and kept on wood shavings by the look of it. If she`d been much closer to home I may have taken her but for £20 quid, I wouldn`t want the cage just the mouse! Hopefully someone will see her who has females already and give her some company.
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Think the RSPCA may have some; Bluecross did the last time I looked - but that was months ago, back in the summer when I was looking for a horse. (Incidentally how did I end up looking at mice? Well I have no idea but I wouldn't fancy my chances attempting dressage on a mouse.). 

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

Dressage on a mouse! >:) I remember seeing a lot of mice on the SSPCA website a wee while ago but again, I don`t live near their centres and prospective owners have to visit the centre. I got three rats from a local one near me years ago but they close it down. Reasons being security.
  • JonJon Lemming
    edited January 2017 Posts: 147
    Just a thought, but I have an absolutely lovely bluepoint buck (Benjamin) who comes and licks my fingers (then wees on them!) and one sealpoint, two bluepoint and one blue doe. They're all highly intelligent, especially Pipsqueak the sealpoint. She (like Basil a while ago) will kiss you if you say "kiss me". Incredible behaviour at three to four months!

If I were to breed them, would anyone be interested? We'd have to use either a pet courier or the rodent hand-to-hand transfer network on here, but it can be done.
    Ask not what your rodent can do for you...
    I think breeding from mice that you consider loving pets Jon could be risky if anything were to go wrong. It`s a lovely idea and chances are nothing would go wrong, but for the sake of finding mice, I`ve always thought mice were in abundance sometimes and then a drought comes and you don`t see any for a long time unless you live near a breeder who advertises.

My health isn`t good pain-wise right now to take on any small furry people, so I`m not sure when I might be able to again and I wouldn`t want to do so until I was sure I was able to apply all the love and attention on them that I used to. I sure miss my meecers though.
  • JonJon Lemming
    It's OK; just a suggestion that's there if anyone is interested.

I know where you're coming from re: pain though. I have a chronic pain-type condition and it can be very limiting at times. Hope you're soon feeling better.
    Ask not what your rodent can do for you...
    Thanks Jon. It`s not easy to cope with and soul destroying when it restricts my plans to keep more mice or another hamster right now. I`m hoping that will change when I have some kind of treatment plan in place, but as yet, I don`t know what that will be or whether intervention will work well.

Your new mice sound lovely. x