Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

His respiratory infection is back :(

I think poor Prince's respiratory issues have come back.... Last night I went to get him out and saw that one eye was shut, picked him up to wipe it clean and realised his breath was sounding wheezy and clicky again. This morning it's loud enough to be audible anywhere in my room; if you listen carefully you can hear it even when standing outside, and he seems very lethargic again but can't settle down to rest/sleep properly.

I am going to see about getting the same drugs as he had last time. Rather stupidly I optimistically presumed that I would not need them again, and returned them to the surgery for disposal.

But I can't see why he's ill again.... Except I had to turn my radiator off for a fortnight and my room was very cold for the hamsters - about 15 degrees, BUT the cages were wrapped up, everyone had tons of bedding, and I put heated wheat bags on top of the cages. Also I am using a different substrate now: great n small recycled paper bedding. But my last substrate was also recycled pair bedding and both substrates are meant to be "dust free".
Any one know why he might be sick again...? I really want to get to the bottom of this, it's not nice watching him be so dejected and miserable. :'(

Sorry the the mini essay!

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

With mice I've discovered that they are never usually completely free of a respiratory infection once they've had one. Any slight temperature change can start symptoms off again and all you can do is manage the symptoms when they appear.

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Sorry to hear that Kawaii. If he`s been on Baytril (enrofloxacin) before and it helped, I would get him back onto it again but keep it going for three weeks, or until symptoms have cleared and then a week after that. Mice suffer from mycoplasma bacteria in the airways which is a bacteria that can`t be killed off because it lacks a cellular wall, but can be controlled/reduced by some medications. Most mice have it and some carry on regardless while others show worsening symptoms like clicking and lower respiratory issues. Rats also suffer from it.

An airy room is actually better than a stuffy one, but temperature fluctuations can trigger these things off. Paper based substrates/beddings won`t be the problem as long as they are not changed to something new or something has been added to the cage. When I had my girls, I switched them to hemp substrate but was hesitant due to having always used Bedxcel (cardboard squares) sold in large bales for horses. Surprisingly, the girls loved the Hemp and it never caused them any breathing problems. I used Aubiose hemp (UK based) but always check that any hemp based products don`t have citronella added as a pesticide.

Hope wee prince is more comfortable soon. x
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    He was on loxicon 0.1ml twice a day and sulfatrim 0.05ml twice daily before... I might look into ambrose if you've had success with it. I've heard of people using it for horses with COPD but never for rodents... AnnB do you just keep the necessary drugs on hand for your fluffs in case they have a flare up then? What's the best way to store small animal drugs?
    Also are pet shop animals more prone to things like this due to the higher likelihood of inbreeding/ weakened immune systems from poor housing as babies? It was well over a year since I brought Prince home but he was on sawdust/wood shavings in the petshop so could that be a contributory factor for his current issues?
    Sorry for all the questions :/

(chins for the win!)

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Oh and I forgot to tag the OP: but prince is a Syrian hamster, not a mouse :p

(chins for the win!)

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    As I've had large numbers of mice, my vet lets me buy a large bottle of Baytril, it saves me money (in the long run) and lasts at least a year. Some vets won't want to prescribe more than an exact dose for a specific patient though. Most medicines keep well in a cool place (that's how they are kept at my vet's, on shelves).
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    (For mice) my vet prescribes Bayril first then Synulox if infection reoccurs (often does in mice).
    I've heard Baytril should be kept in dark (cool) place and I've also heard it shouldn't be used if it is cloudy (which occurs after time and if subjected to light). Kawaii, hang onto it anyway.
    I'd get Prince back to the vet and back on some drugs, maybe the same as before maybe not.
    From my experience with poorly mice (I consider myself an authority now :( ) I'd go to the vet hoping for a fix; a cure. Drugs have only alleviated the symptoms, which is good, but never fixed them forever. No reason not to try though! Good luck, I hope he gets better.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley.
    Never forgotten fancy girl mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex, wild mice Harry Houdini and Little Wills
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Okay... Again sorry for the long absence, I promise I did not fall into a black hole :p

PRINCE IS BETTER!!!!!!

Five days on loxicom did the trick - And I've Kept it this time just in case - though touch wood I won't be needing it again!!

(chins for the win!)

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Great news, fingers crossed it stays that way.
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Oh excellent news Kawaii! So good to hear he is better.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley.
    Never forgotten fancy girl mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex, wild mice Harry Houdini and Little Wills