Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Abby - lump :(

Sorry to say another little girl, Abby, has a lump. It is on her right hind quarters. It is very big already in a week. The vet says there is nothing to be done for this lump, just a matter of time. She is bright and eating and drinking at the moment. We are marking time and just giving her all the love and treats she will take. She was never really a people person, still very timid. I hope she passes peacefully asleep with her friends.
Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley.
Never forgotten fancy girl mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex, wild mice Harry Houdini and Little Wills
Tagged:

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

That's not good news, I'm sorry. I do hate tumours, although the one bonus is that mice don't seem troubled by them at all unless they ulcerate.

Thanked by 1Sarahnash
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Abby is still well I herself, eating, drinking running on the wheel etc. She runs away from us, always had, but once caught then put back she climbs back on the hand.
    But her lump is enormous. Sometimes it puts her off balance, she is bottom heavy. It is big and purple.
    We have discussed if we should take her but OH says as she is so not bothered by it, how can we. I kind of agree.
    But I am worried about ulceration which I have read of on here but don't really know what happens if/when it does. Please could someone advise?
    Never forgotten fancy girl mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex, wild mice Harry Houdini and Little Wills
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I'm no vet but I think what happens is the lump can only stretch the skin so far before the skin splits. If the lump is purple, it suggests to me that blood is near the surface so that will possibly happen soon. There can be a huge blood loss and sometimes the mouse appears to go into shock but if (as happened to me) this occurs in the middle of the night, don't be alarmed because the wound usually dries very quickly and the mouse continues as normal but does generally seem much more irritated by the lump, often scratching at it. I always take this as the sign that it's time to take that trip to the vet.
    Thanked by 1Sarahnash
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Hi Sarah. A lump that size won`t be too long before it takes her life sadly. My Betsy (show sized female mouse) had a large lump removed that the vet said had `mastasized`, meaning, may have spread. He removed this large lump anyway, but when I went back to collect her, he noticed she had a secondary lump starting on her hind hip. This lump also grew very large and affected Betsy`s mobility. She got another few months of good quality life with her older cage mate, but one evening I saw her waddle to the food dish and on her way over, she started fitting. I jumped off my chair and gently grabbed her by the base of the tail to get her out. Laid her on my bed and she was gone. :(

I fully expected this to happen but not in that manner. It must have affected her heart poor love. Her cage mate Maisy went on to live alone quite happily, but she too produced a lump and died much the same way. It`s heatbreaking. I never kept anymore mice after losing wee Maisy, but I did get more hardened to the fact that mice suffer from two conditions that take their lives. Respiratory and tumours.

It`s not easy to make a decision to euthanase a mouse when they seem content to eat/drink and waddle around without seeming too troubled by their affliction, but it`s also like a ticking time bomb.x
    Thanked by 1Sarahnash
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    We had Abby put to sleep today. Such a shame, she still enjoyed life was eating well and engaging with us and her friends. But it started bleeding yesterday and it was time.
    OH and I took all the girls with us so she wouldn't have to be alone.
    The remaining 4 have a new environment now all clean. I'm told they don't remember, don't feel grief, don't understand death. I hope that's true. Goodnight little girl.xx

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

I'm very sorry, Sarah.

Rest in peace Abby.

P.S. I'm pretty sure mice do grieve but like us, they cope and get on with life (after all, death is just as natural as life). I've often seen a cagemate cuddle up to a mouse who has died. I always used to remove the deceased mouse quickly but now I give the others chance to come to terms with the death. I know that isn't possible though if you've had a mouse put to sleep.

Thanked by 1Sarahnash
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Rest in peace Abby. You made a good decision Sarah. It`s difficult to know how they feel carrying these tumours. x
    Thanked by 1Sarahnash