Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Just sticking my head again to catch up and say hi

AlisonAlison Mouse
edited February 3 in Introductions
I hope everyone is doing ok and life is treating you well?

Thought it about time I stuck my head to say hi, seeing as it's been a few months since I was last in here. I still have Clara and Eliza, my two little girls, they are the only mice I have now and they are about 14 months old. I also have my Skinny Pig (his name is actually Bubbles but he's soooo fat he has definitely earned the nickname ;) ) and until recently, just one hamster, Davey, left. Anyway one day last week I was in the garage queuing to pay for my diesel when a woman swept in and stood behind me in the queue whilst talking very loudly on her phone about how she just had to get rid of the hamster. She was off to the petshop with it but if they couldn't take it so-n-so had said to just leave it outside otherwise. I couldn't risk that happening, knowing that would mean certain death for it so I stopped her and said if she had a hamster she didn't want I would have it. She had the little mite in the car with her and could not hand it over fast enough when I offered to take it...

My friends have all been joking about how only I could go to the garage for diesel and come home with a hamster but hey ho. She's a dear little thing. We called her Sammi the Hammy. The woman had only had her for two weeks but she couldn't stand small furry things and her daughter was scared of it and didnt like it being anywhere near her (whoever it was in that family thought it was a good idea to get a hamster needs their head examining!) She's a little chinese hamster and very pretty. I'll post a photo up later. At the moment she is still in the cage she came in, a Ferplast Paula, but once I get around to rearranging some furniture there is an 70cm cage sat empty in the loft she can have. The foster rabbits Bertie and Biggles, moved out just before Christmas. I took on an emergency foster dog who took rather a liking to the rabbits so my friend, who I had been looking after the rabbits for (since April 2015!) finally managed to make room at her place for them.

In other news I am back to being a four dog household again after losing five between May 2015 and Feb 2016. At the end of January last year we added Bobby, a sprocker puppy to the house, my partners dog Sky, a sprollie, arrived in March and about 3 weeks ago we welcomed an 8 month old springer (all the way from Northern Ireland) whom we called Riley into the house. I still have my dear old lady Kaz, another springer who is now 17 and still going strong
:x All the ratties have now crossed the Bridge and I lost Molly, my elderly ham a few months back and just before that Stitch sadly passed away too. I posted it on here already but Katy's other hamster, Meeko, also crossed the Bridge earlier in April of last year as well. She's taken quite a shine to Sammi though, which I am pleased about.

Oh, and at Christmas I also got engaged. So yes, been quite a lot going on here one way or another.

Now... what have I missed???
The Pink Paw Gang are back in town! 2 mice, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 2 springer spaniels, 1 sprollie and 1 sprocker. Is this what you call a multicultural house :)

Remembering my gorgeous boy Griffon, my cheeky Merlin, my beautiful Womble, the handsome Mr George and my 'grumpy' old man Buster

Run free Lilo, Meeko, Stitch, Molly and Davey (hamsters) Zelda, Princess, Ninny and Link (rats) and Squeak (guinea pig)

Playing at The Rainbow Bridge are Wooster, Baldrick, Sir Edmund, Parker, Daisy, Poppy, Lily, Rosie & Fleur, Mitch, Alex, Pyscho, Tango & Cash, Little Misses Trouble and Mischief, Coco, Cookie & Hazel, Lilley & Tilley and Ernie, Pete, Strawberry and Shortcake and Mr & Mrs Mabel & Eric Mouse

Every little life matters

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Oh my goodness Alison, what a venture! Talk about being in the right place at the right time?!! And a female Chinese? :\"> I think I would have been gobsmacked as I adore Chinese hamsters! I`ve only had the one (Prinny) and she was my soulmate. Unless you didn`t already know, Chinese hamsters are very mouse-like and have the same intelligence as mice. They do love to climb but at the same time, I wouldn`t give her a very tall cage in light of that as she is a hamster and not a mouse!

Congratulations on your engagement and coming back to say hello. This forum thrives on old and new members and although things fall quiet at times, it`s great when people come back and we all get chatting again.

I get so angry when people take on a small rodent and just think they can chuck it like a piece of rubbish because their child doesn`t like it. It`s all very well her taking it to a pet shop (better than nothing I suppose) but the fact that you overheard her saying she would leave it outside is sickening. Any nutter could have found her and released her or worse. Thank goodness you were in that garage forecourt. WELL DONE!!!! x
    Thanked by 1Alison
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    OMG I cannot believe that hamster story. I am appalled, some people shouldn't be allowed to breed let alone keep animals. How lucky, so lucky you were there. Sammi has found an excellent mummy and home.
    My condolences on your losses and congratulations on your new family members.
    And congratulations on your engagement!
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
    Thanked by 1Alison
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

It's good to hear from you again, Alison. Thank goodness you were in the garage at the right moment.

Congratulations on your engagement.

Thanked by 1Alison
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Congratulations on getting engaged. And thank goodness you were in that garage at that time!
    Thanked by 1Alison
  • JonJon Lemming
    edited February 27 Posts: 133
    Late into this thread but just saw your story. Thank God you were there for Sammi. Literally thank God, because the poor soul would not have stood a chance otherwise.

Congratulations on your engagement!

Jon ;-)
    Ask not what your rodent can do for you...
    Thanked by 1Alison
    Any updates Alison?
  • AlisonAlison Mouse
    Hi April, not much to report really. I've tried about three times to get photos uploaded from my phone to this thread but, as you can see, with no success :( At the moment we've decided to leave Sammi in the Ferplast Paula. I dislike the cage intensely but Katy is trying to get her hand tame and its a lot easier in a small cage as opposed to the Marchioro cage that is sat in the loft . Katy is hoping to go off to Uni in September and is often working late into the night. She's enjoying having Sammi around. I can tell, as I can often hear her talking away to her whilst she's working. I am pleased that's the case as it was quite traumatic when Stitch died. We'd gone away for five days down to the West Country and a friend was coming in daily to feed and water the small furries for us. We knew Stitch was not 100% before we went but a vet check up was done before we left just in case, but the vet just felt it was old age and nothing sinister so away we went. On the day we were travelling back my friend found Stitch on the floor of her cage. She didn't ring me as she knew I would be driving and she didn't want Katy to overhear as opposed to me telling her. So she wrote a note explaining all and where to find Stitch and taped it to the kitchen units, wrapped little Stitch up securely in tissue and plastic bags and popped her in the freezer. Of course, it didn't work out like she had planned. Katy came straight in, went to go and see Stitch and found an empty cage so we, not having seen the note, thought that maybe Stitch was on the loose in the house and shut the dogs in the living room whilst we proceeded to hunt for her and tried unsuccessfully to get hold of my friend on the phone. At some point during my attempted phone call Katy went to the freezer for something and of course, thats when she found Stitch. About an hour after that we noticed the note explaining everything stuck to the units. So as you can imagine Katy was really shook up by that and devastated to loose Stitch and she was adamant she was never going to have another hamster. But I think Sammi is small enough not to remind her of Stitch and they seem to be on the way to becoming fast friends. So perhaps it was meant to be :)
    The Pink Paw Gang are back in town! 2 mice, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 2 springer spaniels, 1 sprollie and 1 sprocker. Is this what you call a multicultural house :)

Remembering my gorgeous boy Griffon, my cheeky Merlin, my beautiful Womble, the handsome Mr George and my 'grumpy' old man Buster

Run free Lilo, Meeko, Stitch, Molly and Davey (hamsters) Zelda, Princess, Ninny and Link (rats) and Squeak (guinea pig)

Playing at The Rainbow Bridge are Wooster, Baldrick, Sir Edmund, Parker, Daisy, Poppy, Lily, Rosie & Fleur, Mitch, Alex, Pyscho, Tango & Cash, Little Misses Trouble and Mischief, Coco, Cookie & Hazel, Lilley & Tilley and Ernie, Pete, Strawberry and Shortcake and Mr & Mrs Mabel & Eric Mouse

Every little life matters
    Deary me, seems this little one came along at the right time Alison. I`m sure the Paula cage will be fine. I have my old Gabber Rex tank in storage now after losing Chubs my Russian dwarf to a tumour although he was well over two years of age the wee man. It`s been strange adapting to not having any small pets around but due to my current pain issues and my quest to be `normal`, it`s probably just as well because even getting up in the mornings when I have bad fare up`s means I would need to get myself up to feed and spend time with one and  now I struggle sometimes. So I decided to take a break for a while.