Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Alex - lump

Alex has developed a lump. It's small and is just behind her front left leg. Words cannot express.
She is my favorite, most tame, most friendly, most inquisitive, most beautiful girl. She's the girl in my profile picture. She isn't bothered by it yet but it has increased in size in two days since it first arrived.
Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini

Comments

• NickyNicky Mouse
    I'm very sorry to hear about Alex's lump. Could it be a cyst ?
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    I don't know. I sway between rushing her to the vet and asking if they can operate and just leaving it and her alone. I don't want to put her through the stress and discomfort anything that has no guaranteed good outcome.
    She is also slowing down. She runs a bit on the wheel then stops and pants/breathes hard (I don't think mice pant). And she sits still quite a lot. And she is getting a bit bigger.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    What age is Alex Sarah? I would say if she`s six months or under, removal could extend her life. But if she`s well over a year or older, the problem with lump removals can be (a) they could have spread already to other vital organs and (b) you get it removed and a secondary lump appears. This happened to my large female Betsy, although it did extend her life for around five months. Although I didn`t notice Betsy had a smaller lump growing under her hind leg when she went in to have the larger one removed. The vet noticed it. :(

Lumps under the armpit if growing too big and then removed can also mean the vet doesn`t have enough skin to stitch back together, so this can cause problems. So they are best removed while small in my opinion, but given mouse tumours are common, especially in females, it`s not an easy decision to make. I HATED when any of my girls formed a lump as they were all nasty and ended up quite large making the mouse`s mobility difficult. But what else can we do?
    Alex is about 85 weeks RM. Natalie her cage mate is around 80 weeks. I thought Alex was going last nite. She has slowed right down but still eating and drinking a bit. But she is eating more sweet things. She would enjoy her mouse mix and also fresh brocolli, peas, a piece of carot, rice. Now I can only tempt her with a cheerio a piece of biscuit, seed, an oat flake, bread.
    Based on what I see, what you've said, what I feel, I think I will leave her alone. I just hope when the time comes I don't have to take her to the vet. They won't let you be there when they do it. I have to hold her.
    I don`t blame you Sarah because I never liked ending my mice`s lives at the vets either and admittedly, they probably all passed on here at home, either from tumours, old age or other ageing related illness. I think the mice tell us in their own ways how they are each day and when we see noticeable changes, we can usually weigh up how they are coping just by watching them more.

Either way, it ends their suffering, but I don`t like interfering with nature unless the mouse or hamster is visibly in a lot of pain or discomfort and I know they can`t be left like that. That`s when the vet is a must. I`ve only had to put down two of my small pets. A Russian hamster who was writhing over and over and my elderly rat Winston. His demise really hit me hard at the time and I remember not being able to eat for days afterwards as it felt like losing a relative. Losing the little ones after that became less difficult, but still had an effect on me mentally, as it does all of us. x
    Thanked by 1Sarahnash
    I know what you mean. This week I have been eating rubbish or not eating at all, easily crying and tearful. I wake up and there is a moment of peace and then I start thinking about them and I have to get up and check on them. The combination of reduced sleep, fear and upset for them and added stress at work is having an effect on me.
    I agree, t is like grieving and losing a relative. Some Freudian person might suggest it is transference of the loss of my mum and possibly that is a factor, but they are my babies, so reliant, so friendly, so loving, so trusting, so loved.
    And I say 'they' because I haven't posted yet - Natalie is unwell also. She was always timid and has become even more so since Kelly went. She must feel all her friends are disappearing. Both Alex and Nats are showing signs of respiratory illness and I noticed a lump on Nats back yesterday also.
    So I am fearfully every day of what I will find. The camera shows they barely come out during the day.
    i don't know if they are in pain but I'd say they are uncomfortable - their little bodies go like bellows with the effort of breathing and they stop often and sit still. But are still a bit interested in treats and Alex likes being picked up. So I don't know if I am doing the right thing in maintaining this, but I don't think they are coming back from it.
    Out of a sort of desperation I am putting some drops of Baytril on their food as too stressful for them to try to give by mouth. I feel I have to do something. I will move them from their open environment tomorrow to something really small, too small for an active mouse but I think ok for them.
    It helps to hear other people are the same and hit hard by the loss of their pets. I'm not crazy.
    This is Alex the black and Nats the caramel this week spending a little time with me. Not a brilliant photo I'm afraid
    image.jpg
    1413 x 1490 - 444K
    edited May 2017 Posts: 1,200
    It does get a little easier the more you deal with their passing Sarah but all the same, it`s that long road you go on with them. I would take each day as it comes and try and be mindful of your own happiness. The mice are greatful that they have you and that`s the main thing. If they do have some breathing issues, keeping them on Baytril even in their water could help long term. The bacteria that causes these respiratory problems can be difficult to eradicate and sometimes longer treatments are required to reduce the symptoms.

Just carry on doing what your doing and knowing that the day will come when nature will take over. Lumps and respiratory problems and all part of a mouse`s life it seems and managing them as best we can is all we can do since vets can`t do much either, so sometimes it`s best to just keep them accustomed to what they love and know that you are doing your very best in these circumstances. x
    Thanked by 1Sarahnash
    After Nats passed away yesterday I feared for Alex who is also winding down. I briefly fell asleep with her up my sleeve last night which obviously cannot continue. OH watched over us so there wasn't any real danger. So she is in a plastic tank next to the bed. She did not want to go back in after being up the sleeve. But she was about in the night and has eaten and drank some and is a little less shaky in her feet.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Bless her ,Its so horrible when we see them start to fail ,I always feel so helpless but we just have to try to keep them pain free and keep the knowledge that they have had a great life with you x
    Thanked by 1Sarahnash
    They are forever in our hearts Sarah and the love we give them is returned ten fold. Making their final weeks/days as restful as we can and being there for them. x
    Thanked by 1Sarahnash
    I have been to vets and asked for an AB, not to fix her I don't think it can but to make her more comfortable in her breathing. She is living alone next to our bed and I take her out whenever I can. She will sit up my sleeve or OH will let her roam the bed. She is a bit shaky on her legs and still has laboured breathing. I wonder can she remain alone? Is it too stressful to introduce a friend or is being alone making her unhappy? I know you cannot tell me, but I welcome your opinion. I cannot know either.
    It depends really. Because she lost a friend only recently, do you think she`s strong enough to meet a newcomer? The mouse being introduced would need to be pretty young or mellow as a pair could turn on her, so it`s really weighing up the pro`s and con`s Sarah and how she is physically. If her downturn came on after her buddy passed on, she may well be going through an immune system crash due to loss, or she may just be unwell in herself due to age? How was she before her cage mate passed on? Was she showing signs of a downturn then or has this suddenly came on?

She was poorly also, I didn't know who I was going to lose first.
    Intros are better done when all the mice are well unless you have one other female who is on her own and not likely to cause stress to the one who is not 100%, but it also comes down to instinct and how you feel she would cope with meeting a new mouse or a few mice and whether having to place them all in a smaller, empty cage would be beneficial right now.