Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Roborovski

We we were in a certain pet shop when my husband said there was a Robo in the adoption section so I went to have a look and we decided to take the little scrap,as the assistant was getting him out my husband pointed that his eye was sticky so she said we couldn't take him until the vet had seen him but she would put our name on him and keep us informed. That was three weeks ago and since then he's been on two lots of antibiotics and as his eye was still swollen been tested for a tumor but today they phoned and said he has seen the vet again today and they are pleased its looking so much better, he will see the vet again on Tuesday and Hopefully if all is well we can collect him. I must say so far I've been both pleased and surprised how good they have been at keeping us updated on his treatment and I just hope he can come home soon. He has a zoozone 1 all set up and waiting for him.

Comments

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Had another call today saying the vet was pleased and all treatment has ended but they want to wait another week just to make sure all is well. I in the meanwhile have been doing as much research as possible on Robos to make sure I'm all ready for him.
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    It is pleasing to hear they are taking so much care. I hope he gets well soon and can come home to you.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    edited May 2017 Posts: 1,200
    Yes, it`s decent of them to have their vet treat him before allowing him to go to a new home. You will know where and how he was treated and can always go back to the same vet or practice should he have anymore problems, but hopefully he`ll be fine.

Robos are.....well, mad!
    8-}

The best approach? Allow him to do what he wants, live in his Zoozone with his wheel, a cosy nest and enjoy his speedy antics! Small pieces of apple, corn cob, garden pea and all the `safe` veggies are enjoyed. Robo`s do well on the dwarf mixes available like the Burgess Dwarf food or a combination of the dwarf hamster mixes online like Zooplus. My last two male robos, Rocky and wee Fred, were fantastic little characters and both happily lived over three years, so they done well. Both were rescues/rehomed from other people. I miss having a wee robo, they are really easy to keep Nicky. I wouldn`t advise handling outside of the Zoozone as they tend to escape and jump, so due to this, it`s best to chat to him and place your hand down into the cage and allow him to seek you out if he wants to. No pressure to handle him if he scoots away!

And it goes without saying, never use a hamster ball or ladders for a robo as they have long, spindly back legs that propel their speed, hence the reasons why they are often called `watchable` hamsters!

Can`t wait to hear more about him. x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you so much racing mouse that's great advice i agree about the handling out side the zoozone as our last one (mentioned in my other thread, the one we looked after and kept ) amazed me with his speed !!Also I understand why people use hamster balls, and i used them years ago myself but I grew to hate them, I much prefer the hamster to be able to walk around and explore its environment. Also I think this little one may have learned to not like people by the time we get him as the only time he will have been held is to have treatment to his eye. Do you think the Zoozone 1 is big enough for him racing mouse?

The ZZ1 is fine. I used an old Gabber tank the same size as the ZZ1 for all my dwarfies and it was big enough. I feel the ZZ2 is just too big and is more suited to a Syrian hamster. I always allowed my robos to live as their pleased and have their routine. I just enjoyed watching them and spot cleaning while they stayed inside the cage. I never used antibac clearers just wetted kitchen towel and removed any or half the substrate/nesting. I find their nesting material doesn`t become smelly as they tend to pee and poo near to or beside the nest, so you may find that`s what your little lad will do.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you again :D
    A good sleeping house for a wee robo or Russian dwarf  is a tissue/hankie box, turned upside down with the bottom removed (meaning the top with the hole in it where the tissues are pulled out!) make a couple of doors in the box for entry/exit either end and with no floor, the robo can dig down into the substrate below and chew away at the box. Easily replaced. I never really had to replace my tissue boxes unless they had been chewed a lot or slightly soiled, but these are better than anything plastic which can become moist inside. x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    That's a great idea thank you. I will do that .
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    I recently discovered the pleasure of cereal boxes for my girls. And cup a soup boxes with holes cut and boxes placed in a way to make a maze. OH and I could only buy cereal if it was in a box :)
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Lol yes sarahnash you do end up buying things in boxes with the little ones in mind.my lot also like cereal boxes and tbag boxes, although I never thought of cup a soup boxes.Good idea :D