Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Hamster Fostering

If you had a choice between fostering and adopting, which would you do?

Since Prince died (it was a while back, last Saturday of the Easter holidays - I didn't post about, it was a complete shock and putting a post up anywhere about it  just wasn't really top of my priorities at the time, and now I've finally finished the sob-a-thon I really don't want to start again(!)) I've been torn between: 

A) getting another hamster and having the heartbreak of watching them age and pass away; 

or, B) fostering and having the heartbreak of having to send them off to a new home! Though at least you'd know they were being loved and spoiled, but I imagine it wouldn't be easy the first few times. And you'd be opening up a space at a rescue centre for another rodent. 

I imagine if I did do it'd be with the RSPCA - they seem to have a nice system for doing it and it seems organised and like you'd have someone to "fall back on" if something went wrong, which strikes me as reassuring. 

So, your thoughts? 

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

Comments

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Oohhh that's a hard one . Both can be rewarding, on one hand giving a Hamster a good life with you and on the other hand getting them ready to go on and have a good life with someone else.I'm really not sure what I would do, personally it would be a struggle for me to foster but I know someone who fosters Guinea pigs for a rescue and finds it very rewarding. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    And I'm very sorry to hear about prince.
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    I`m too untrusting of others to pass on an animal and keep it the way I would, so no, I couldn`t foster. I get to attached to my pets anyway but sometimes fostering can be rewarding if you can stay neutral and not get too close to the animals and just ae sure they are fed and happy. I take my hat off to fosterer`s and anyone who cares for all animals and looks for good homes for them. It`s not an easy thing to do, especially when you have to hand them over!
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    See it's the 'staying neutral' I reckon I'd struggle with :) Because I'd find it rewarding obviously and whilst you o expect it to be hard to let them go the first few times it's more a worry that it would ALWAYS be hard. I might just give it a go and if I don't like it, I always back out I suppose :) 

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    I like most animals, some more than others. If I really liked the sort of animal I was fostering I couldn't give It up. If I didn't have that bond with the animal I think I could just look after it, ensure it was happy, clean, fed, petted etc, and possibly could give it away. If I could look at it clinically, just with empathy, compassion, maybe like vets have to do, I could give it away. But otherwise no.
    Sorry to hear about Prince x
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    That`s a good way of looking at it Sarah, from a `vets` point of view. But then they are not spending a lot of daily time with the same animals they see, so I don`t suppose they get bonded or have the same sentiment someone might have if they were with those same animals day in, day out. But the neutral attitude does help. I don`t suppose vets or veterinary workers can show too much emotion towards the animals they see/treat because they would be emotional wrecks!
  • AlisonAlison Mouse
    I've never fostered small furries but I have dogs. It can be hard but extremely rewarding and although it always makes me cry when they leave I know how all but one of my fosters are doing these days and it gives me a good feeling to know I made a difference to them. Of course every now and then a foster comes along who just has to stay but actually I've found it surprisingly easy to be firm with myself. Even if I do break my heart when they go on to the next stage of their lives *rollseyes*
    The Pink Paw Gang are back in town! 2 mice, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 2 springer spaniels, 1 sprollie and 1 sprocker. Is this what you call a multicultural house :)

Remembering my gorgeous boy Griffon, my cheeky Merlin, my beautiful Womble, the handsome Mr George and my 'grumpy' old man Buster

Run free Lilo, Meeko, Stitch, Molly and Davey (hamsters) Zelda, Princess, Ninny and Link (rats) and Squeak (guinea pig)

Playing at The Rainbow Bridge are Wooster, Baldrick, Sir Edmund, Parker, Daisy, Poppy, Lily, Rosie & Fleur, Mitch, Alex, Pyscho, Tango & Cash, Little Misses Trouble and Mischief, Coco, Cookie & Hazel, Lilley & Tilley and Ernie, Pete, Strawberry and Shortcake and Mr & Mrs Mabel & Eric Mouse

Every little life matters