Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

'Ello, who's out there?

JonJon Lemming
edited May 2017 in General Rodent Chatter
Just thought I would pop up and say hello as I haven't been on here for quite a while.

I think I've said in a previous post that I've had some more mice from Hannah at Little Bud Mousery (back around Eastertime). I can't speak highly enough of Hannah and her setup; the mice are absolute darlings and she is brilliant at breeding and rearing them. Just a few minutes ago I had Benjamin out because he seemed to be up for a snack. Typical of a young male mouse, he is still scent-marking everything (including, of course, my hand). I haven't put any of them together for breeding yet because I'm not sure what I'd do if I produced a hatful of bucks. It is very tempting though.

Part of the reason I haven't been on the forum for a while is family circumstances. My father moved in with me about a year ago and there has been quite a bit of sorting out and general caring-type stuff going on which has taken up a lot of my spare time. I've also (more recently) been doing a complete revamp of my office/workshop. Partly because of this, plus scheduling problems with the joiner who has been manufacturing the pieces for my benches, the house has been in absolute turmoil and we are only just beginning to get the contents of my workshop out from the hallway and kitchen and back where they belong! Anyway, it's an all-male household at the moment so there isn't any wife or partner to be driven mad by my antics.

Anyway, I thought I would just post something up to see who was out there and have a quick catch-up.

Jon

Ask not what your rodent can do for you...

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Hi jon, sounds as though you have been busy! It`s great too that you found a good breeder so source your mice from. They seem to be a rare breed these days depending on where you are in the UK. My mother and I are joint tenants and mum is 78 now, but it can be difficult to find your own space sometimes. I miss my meecers. The single males are just like little companions and mine were all real characters. Kinky, Chalky and Oddy in particular. I wish I could just wave a wand and bring these lads back. x
  • JonJon Lemming
    edited May 2017 Posts: 147
    Ohh I do love those names!! I try and only use names once, as I like to remember them. Mind you, there are dozens of humans with the same name in the world.

Mine are (let's see if I get this right): Benjamin (the buck), Dusty (daughter of my late beloved Basil and Cheeselet). Then we have Ferret, Pipsqueak (she has a lump and will probably not be here much longer), Mrs Arbuthnot, Snuff (slightly more senior does). Then there's Rimfire, Root, Squirmels, Flitter, Thimble and Newt.

:D
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    I love those names Jon. I hope your office\workshop gets sorted soon. You certainly have had your hands full lately .
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Hey Jon, good to hear the colony is doing ok, but sorry to hear about pipsqueak, I sympathise. Hope all goes well with your father.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and Teddy the hamster.
    Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills
    Love the names Jon! I named my first male rescue mouse Kinky because he had a `kink` in his tail! Oddy was nick-named Agent Provocateur as he was always causing mischief! Or Agent Oddy!!
  • JonJon Lemming
    Thanks everyone :)

Pipsqueak, I had to put down the other day. The cancer was becoming large enough to impede her front left leg and had doubled in size over ten days. She went peacefully though, bless her.

The remaining ten does and one buck are all doing well.
    Sorry to hear that Jon (damn tumours :(( ) The main thing is Pipsqueak had a great life with you as will your remaining meecers. x
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    So sorry to hear Jon.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and Teddy the hamster.
    Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    Sorry to hear about Pipsqueak Jon :( it never gets any easier does it, even when you know it's in the little one's best interests. 
    It's good you've found a reputable breeder - I'm not a mouse owner but even if I wanted to be there aren't even petshops selling them round here. They've always struck me as charming characterful rodents but not popular sadly. :(

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Very sorry x
  • JonJon Lemming
    Thank you, everybody, for your kind words. Pipsqueak was a favourite of sorts but not very old (only 8 months) so a rather short life.

When I get the chance, I must put of a photo or two of Mrs Arbuthnot. She really is a Behemoth of a mouse. Backside the size of a small central European country!
    Such a shame some mice don`t live to reach their fulfillment in life jon, that is always a big sadness. Will look forward to seeing the mighty Mrs Arbuthnot!