Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

What a week

First we noticed that our lovely rat Madeye wasn't well she was chesty and dragging her back leg slightly, so off we went to the vet where she was given baytril and anti inflammatory meds.She's still eating and drinking and taking her meds well but still not right. She's back at the vets on Tuesday for an xray to see what's going on. Unfortunately I suspect something sinister. Then last night I noticed one of our other rats Seeker has a small lump at the side of her mouth so she will be going to the vets as well, she is also still eating and drinking but there is no way she will let me look so I think she  may have to go under at the vets.
Then my husband bought my attention to a little Robo near us that needed a home. I said no as we are picking up our little one in the next few days but to be honest I let my hart rule my head when I saw the tiny cage,its one of the smallest cages I ever saw and could fit nothing but a house,wheel and food dish.so we bought him home and because my husband is allergic to woodshavings I had to change his substrate so decided to transfer him to another cage,unfortunately this is only a Duna but at least he has toys and things to do. He has spent all his time burrowing and happily playing. He's one years old and we are calling him Dumbledore.

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Everything happens at once eh?!! The robos will do their own thing Nicky so they are the least worry-some. I can`t stand seeing ad`s for robos kept in dire cages either and you did a good thing giving this little one a decent life. That`s what I did with my last two robos and took them on from other people who didn`t want them anymore. Their loss, my gain!

Ratties....best thing you can do is get them checked and then go from there really. Dragging of legs can be due to spinal issues or some degeneration going on. The x ray should help hopefully. I remember my rats having various ailments, mainly respiratory, but one had bladder stones/crystals (urolithiasis) and died. The other one had terrible breathing issues and my first rat was nearly three years old and had hind leg paralysis and also ended up with a zymbal gland lump on his neck.

The small lump near the mouth could be benign lump or herpes or could be viral. Hop the vet can give you some answers. Stay positive though. x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thankyou racing mouse. I'm trying to stay positive but to be honest these will be the last rats I have, I adore them but there health issues brake my hart.
    Do you think Dumbledore the Robo will be alright in the mini Duna for a time?
    The mini Duna is fine for a wee robo. If Dumbledore has a good wheel, he will exhaust his energy on that and by running around and digging, so floor space-wise, they don`t require loads of room, unless you plan to upgrade at some stage to a Zoozone 1, which would be better, but not essential.

I stopped keeping rats because it was making ME ill worrying about them. I started keeping mice after that and although mice have their similar issues to rats, they can be more manageable I feel, although it`s still not easy dealing with ongoing respiratory problems and lumps when they appear. I then decided to switch to dwarf hamsters and admittedly, they are far easier and healthier as a species. x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Hopefully I will upgrade at some stage, unfortunately because I didn't plan him room is tight, he came with a flying saucer which I know isn't great so I bought him a pets at home silent spinner which I had to take out at 3 this morning because of the unbelievable noise it made rattling on the floor of his cage so had to put the flying saucer back in. I have on its way a Trixie wheel which I ordered for the newbie, as my dwarf hybrid has one and its great but I'm not sure it will fit in a Duna will have to do something but not sure what.Any ideas?
    Your right about Rats, I haven't had a proper nights sleep since madeye got ill and my past rats were the same I too think mice are more manageable and touch wood apart from elfin having a poorly toe (my hybrid) thats cleared up my hamsters have been fine.
    I found that tank-style cages like the Duna and similar cages don`t need the wire lid on with Robos. They won`t get out unless they have access to climb up onto something as they are ground dwellers, so if you find the Trixie wheel is poking up out of the roof and is too tall, you should be able to get away with not having the wire grill on the Duna, but obviously if you have a cat or a dog or other larger pet that would access the cage, then that a no, no.

Shame, as I have a medium silent spinner here you could have had. These are great for robos. Pets At Home were selling silent spinner `type` wheels not too long ago, so maybe have a look in there? I used small `U` shaped nails to secured my Savic Roly wheel stand to a solid piece of pine wood and covered the wood with shavings. Works a treat!

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you for the advice racingmouse I will try a few things.
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Hi Nicky, I hope for good news for you all at the vet. And Dumbledore sounds like he has fallen on his feet as they say. HeartHead-Heart! Every time. I know what you both mean - worry about our pets makes me dream bad and not sleep.
    That's a good idea for stabilising the wheel RM. I used the lid of a plastic box on its back with some kitchen roll doubled over and that stopped the vibration. They enjoyed chewing the paper and the wheel was heavy enough that they couldn't move it.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you sarahnash I will give that a try as well.
    Yes, rattling wheels on the floor of the cage can be annoying! I found pinning the wheel stand to a flat piece of wood helped immensely, although you do have to sometimes sandpaper any parts the hamster has had a chew on! But that only take a minute when checking over things when spot cleaning really.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Will give it a go .
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Just got back with Seeker from the vets, She has an abcess the vet is not sure if its a broken tooth that's caused it. She managed to drain some of it and has given us antibiotics for her and we rub the side of her face to drain it, which I've managed tonight. Unfortunately the vet said if it is a broken tooth the outlook isn't great.
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Nicky I hope you are doing ok with the worry. I keep my fingers crossed for a good outcome for Seeker. If broken tooth could the vet not take it out?
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
    Sending well wished to wee Seeker. Sometimes vets can be very good but I also feel they stop short of `fixing` an issue when it`s easier to prescribe antibiotics, which do sometimes work admittedly, but an x-ray may have shown the cause. Rats, like all small squirmy furries, can`t be easy to do a dental on! Lets hope it is something that can be cured Nicky and Seeker can get back to normal.x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    The vet says she wants to let the abcess go down a bit before the x_ray and she's willing to remove the tooth but because its the lower jaw they often have to get it from underneath and especially because of Seekers age she wants us to try the antibiotics first.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Oh and we have sorted Dumbledores wheel out, my husband found a silent wheel stand that fits it so Dumbledore seems happy and we are planning to upgrade his cage soon. We also have our pets at home guy now and have called him Hagrid, his eye is all better, one eye is smaller then the other (from birth vet thinks) and he is four months old and tiny!!! A lot smaller then Dumbledore. And he is .... Well mad lol he just never stops.
    Aw, sounds as though Dumbledore and newbie Hagrid are going to have a lovely life now Nicky. Robos are just little balls of energy and craziness! I adore them. Found them the easiest of my hamsters to have just because they are not `hands on` so much and prefer to do their own thing. People who get a robo sometimes don`t feel that way because they can`t handle them or they find they are not what they expected. But I think that`s a bit unfair as robos are speedy and that needs to be accounted for when looking into keeping them.

Keep us updated on the boys! And get well soon Seeker. x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Your right racing mouse I think sometimes people don't get a hands off pet but I like mine to live how they want not how i want. My hybrid Elfin hates been held so I do it as little as possible, I only really hold her to give her a quick check over every so often.And yes Robots are crazy :-O
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Robots ???Lol.
    Well...robos are a bit like wind up zoomers!!! X(
  • NickyNicky Mouse

Well...robos are a bit like wind up zoomers!!! X(

=)) =))
    How are they both settling in Nicky? That`s what I liked about robos, they just like to rummage about, do their own thing and live in their speedy little world! As they age, they can get dry skin and look `old`, but vets can`t really do much so it`s all about making sure they get a nice variety, little pieces of fruit and safe veg like garden pea, sweetcorn nibblets, broccoli, carrot and chopped nuts. Mine were fed the Burgess dwarf mix and also the Zooplus dwarf mix. I would buy a packet of the mixed nuts from Aldi or Lidl and bash a few up using my pestle & mortar. Walnuts, hazelnuts, cashew, peanuts, but avoid almonds. They wouldn`t harm, but they can be more potent, so best to steer clear of almonds.

Just small pieces of these go down well as a treat. x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    They seem to be settling in well Dumbledore is a lot shyer then Hagrid but I'm just talking to them and doing the tissue trick. I am going to try them with a tiny piece of veg tonight, I didn't want to give them it to soon. I feed mine the Burgess dwarf as well but haven't tried the Zooplus one. Did you mix the two foods together racing mouse? The Aldi mix nuts sounds great I will get some, so far I have given them walnut and Pumpkin
    But they have totally captured my hart they are such characters and I'm sure that will show more as they settle in. Last night Dumbledore was on his wheel when I talked to him so very slowly he flattened him self on the wheel (he does this a lot, defence? Fear?) and slipped off under the substrate so just one little foot was left on the wheel. He soon got brave enough to come back out but I have noticed that he seems to believe if he can't see us we can't see him.
    Sounds typical of robos really. Some can be brave while some are scaredy cats! Yes, I did mix the two foods Nicky. The Zooplus dwarf mixes are good but pricey when you add on the P&P, but if you buy a few bags at the same time, it makes it worth the money, especially if you choose the cheapest postage rate.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you I will have a look at that.