Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Two New Mice

A couple of weeks ago, completely by accident I ran over a Shrew. I was absolutely devastated but luckily I'd managed to kill it outright (I always go back to check) and then last week I saw someone else run over a Rabbit. Sadly it didn't die immediately but by the time I'd turned around and gone back to check, it had been run over again and killed. I was so sad that I felt a real urge to help an animal in need. I decided that offering a home to some new Mice was my best course of action (as I was already well equipped to deal with Mice) so I casually browsed the internet and two female Mice at the local RSPCA immediately caught my attention. I filled in the necessary forms and sent them photos of my cages, and this afternoon two new Mice came home with me.

I've taken a few photos and then left them to settle in for a while.

DSCN3655 resize.jpg
600 x 308 - 159K

Comments

• SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Congratulations Ann! They look lovely. Lucky little girls. Let us know their names.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Congratulations they are beautiful. :\">
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Good on you Ann. Lovely girls and will have a decent life now and not be stuck at the RSPCA as mice usually do. So sorry about the wee shrew and bunny, but accidents happen sadly. A few years ago I was walking to our post office and at the top of our road, were TWO hedgehogs who had been killed. One at the side of the main road and the other as the road goes into a cemetery, which angered me because any car going in there would have to slow down, so how they didn`t see the poor hedgehog in front of them, I really don`t know. I was livid, as you can imagine.

let us know how the girls are doing as they settle in.
    :)
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

The girls are a bit nervous but I put their cage on the bed yesterday, took the top of the cage off and just let them get used to my hand being close to them. I'll do that every day till they get more confident and eventually, I hope to introduce them to Pudding, Candlesnuff and Mycena.

I haven't given them names yet, it usually takes me ages but I'll let you know when I decide.

That`s what I used to do Ann. My boys were great from day one really and would come running towards me to clamber onto my lowered arm when I leaned over onto the bed and called to them. My mum watched this one day and said she wouldn`t have believed it if she hadn`t seen it for herself. The girls on the other hand seemed to have a mind of their own!
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Awww, your new additions are lovely Ann :) I hope that they are settling in alright. How old are they?
  • JonJon Lemming
    What a lovely thing to do. I'm sure your new girls will have the very best life they possibly could.

Smashing photos. The markings remind me of one or two mice I've had in the past.

Well done you !
    Ask not what your rodent can do for you...
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

Thank you. I think they were about 4 or 5 months old when I got them.

The girls have settled in really well, they love free ranging on the bed and I can pick them up now but they can still be a bit nervous in their cage, diving for cover if they see me. I might start to offer them treats through the bars to win them round. I've called them Picnic and Puzzle and here's a more recent photo.

DSCN3708 resize.jpg
    600 x 379 - 156K
    That stare says it all Ann! Oh no, she`s coming in again!!!!!  X(  Good to hear they are settling in okay, that`s the main thing. They have a wonderful, safe home. x 
    Thanked by 1AnnB
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Love that photo of them Ann. And their names are great.
    Thanked by 1AnnB