Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

First aid kit and storage ideas?

CritteryCrittery Overlord
edited July 2017 in General Rodent Chatter
Hey all, sorry I'm rather quiet at the moment. Personal life is tricky at the moment!

I've been sorting out Crittery at the moment, to get organised. I'm keeping intake low but could do with organising to save me time. Would love to pick your collective minds on the following points:
  1. First aid kit: I've got the basic items you'd expect to cope with minor and unexpected things, as well as some items for handfeeding. Would love to get ideas from you all.
  2. Fridge/freezer storage: For opened medication and chinchilla ledges/cooling items etc do you have a separate drawer for this?
  3. Diabetic strips for hamsters: so I have been getting these off amazon, but once opened they have to be used pretty frequently. There's a lot of wastage. I tend to need about 5 a year so not many! Does anyone have a go-to place for getting only a few at a time?
  4. Storing large bales and hay: I don't drive, and partner doesn't have time to keep on top of this so I've started buying substrate in larger quantities online. However storage in the outbuilding is particularly messy, especially with hay. Hoping for ideas! I have a couple of ikea stuva drawers, but these have the misc wooden bits.
  5. Sanitising: I've been using generic pet spray and diluted other items, heard good things about F10. Does anyone use?

Any ideas welcomed :)

crittery.co.uk
Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk

Comments

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Only one idea I'm afraid, we keep our hay in the large laundry bags with a zip we have kept hay in these for quite a few years now with out any problems.
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Oh and for my first aid box I bought a stethoscope and I have used it for listening for chesty chests when I can't hear anything naturally.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

Poor you, life must be very hectic at the moment.

First Aid; I'm so glad my vet lets me buy a large bottle of Baytril to cover all eventualities, most other items I keep in the house anyway.

Cold storage; the vet surgery keeps most medication on a cool shelf so I've never bothered storing anything in the fridge but I do clearly label what is for human use and what is for animal use

Diabetic strips; never used them but would it be possible to share with another rescue perhaps?

Storing substrate; I never found an easy answer

Sanitising; I haven't any experience of F10, I use Anigene/Trigene at work and plain old hot water at home.

• KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    My chinchilla hay lives in an old horse feed bag. The bags originally hold 20kg of forage and easily hold 10 kg or so of hay. You could use multiple bags, it depends how much you need; we used to store the horses' hay (25kg bales) outside on wooden pallets under a large builder's tarpaulin and stayed dry through the winter. To clean their cage, and when cleaning the rabbit's litter trays out once a week and to wash down the guinea pig cage twice a week, I use white vinegar diluted with boiling water. Works wonders! (Does smell a bit though xD ) 

In terms of diabetic strips I did, once upon a time, get one free for Prince from the vet's reception desk! I believe you can get them free of charge in testing kits (or for very little money) from vets....mine as I said were free off reception, but you could probably ask. Undoubtedly they'll be available online somewhere too. 

In my first aid kit are bandages, purple spray, iodine, chinchilla pellets (as these are easily mixed with water for syringe feeding and popular with all my small animals - including the dwarf hamster). It also has some emergency loxicom, and various other bits i can't remember! I think I have a thermometer as well as some other bits...I also got a proper first aid kit from a vet's for about £15, really good buy in my mind. 

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• CritteryCrittery Overlord
    Thank you all, you've given me some good things to think about :)
    crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
  • zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    edited July 2017 Posts: 631
    Crittery said:

First aid kit: I've got the basic items you'd expect to cope with minor and unexpected things, as well as some items for handfeeding. Would love to get ideas from you all.

1. Fridge/freezer storage: I bought a large locktight sandwich type box for in the fridge at one point but ended up just storing the animal related things in the fridge door as I rarely use that for anything for humans.
    2. Diabetic strips for hamsters: No idea sorry, i had the same issue as you did when i had to buy them once before. I'm sure that I saw someplace that sells little packs of them online though, I will have a look around and see if I still have the website.
    3. Storing large bales and hay: I'm not sure how it would be for hay, but I buy large bales of fitch for my rodents just now. I found that the large vac bags worked really well for them and reduced the amount of storage space I needed.For ones that are open I use garden refuse sacks (or similar thickness of bags) to tie up what I'm not using.
    4. Sanitising: I've never used F10 but I have used milton when I had a lot of rodents and this worked really well. I'm sure that Laura the vet used to use F10 and commented that it was really good and one of the best she had used.

Other things I have:
    Infant ibuprofen (I wouldn't recommend people just go dosing their pets with it but Laura the vet gave me instructions on how to use for the mice if I'm ever in dire need to help with pain management before the rodents can get to the vet the next morning.)

Syringes - with and without needles

Blackcurant dioralyte - for rehydrating

A saline drip (don't ask, I have an extensive collection of things from the vet now!)

Styptic pens or styptic powder - for stopping blood on minor cuts such as on a nail cut too close to the quick

Nail clippers - ordinary ones for trimming claws and ingrown toenail clippers for using on teeth (I don't recommend anyone trying this unless they have checked with their vet.)

Baby food - for ones struggling to eat or needing a soft food diet because of lack of teeth or teeth related issues

Sharpie pen - handy for marking wound sites if I need to find them quickly

Needles - for lancing abscesses

Non-fragranced Athlete's foot powder - for treating for fungal infections

Liquid new skin - for slightly larger wounds that I need to keep clean (it is almost like a glue that seals the skin up and creates a protective barrier until the skin heals.)

Digestive biscuits or rich tea biscuits - for tempting poorly mice to eat their medicine :P

Various vet prescribed medicines - baytril, vivitonin, pred, and various others. I store them in the envelopes from the vet and then inside an old cotton bud box as it's the perfect size for them and it makes it easier to find in the first aid box!

Bandages and dettol antiseptic - for wrapping up any bites I get from treating mice!!

Scissors

A couple of tiny kirby grips - for removing ear wax (don't ask!)

Sorry I'm a bit late to the game with this, but I've added my little bits above for you as well Christine :)