Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Charlie and Bosley update

Hi,
Thought I'd give you an update on Charlie and Bosley rat boys. Haven't been around for a while so it might be a bit long. It has good stuff and bad stuff.
Good stuff:
I have decided to redo flooring in some of house. To do this meant a big move around, including the boys and I put them in a bedroom just across the landing from us. In the room is a single bed which I covered with a waterproof, a blanket, a fleece then rat toys of cardboard boxes, tubes, castle, maze, etc. Between cage and bed I would put a wide plank of ply and they could come and go as they pleased. In general I only made the bridge when I was there. But one night I left it in place so they could roam. OH was up and about but I went to bed and sleep. I was awakened around 12:30 by a small white furry body climbing on my face. And it wasn't OH. Charlie had come to find me! It was so cute and funny but I realise could have gone horribly wrong.
It sounds a recipe for disaster I know but they have never, ever showed any interest in getting down from wherever they are. They hang over the edge and look down but never try to climb or jump, not even from my bed which is futon-high. I guess he just got it wrong during their games or Bosley chased him.....which leads me to the next thing.
Bad stuff:
The boys have been fighting. Stand up boxing scraps, generally after a grooming session has become too vigorous. Or sometimes during loves with me, I think they get a bit territorial over me and snap at each other. This has actually been going on for a few months and I'd see it twice a day during time I spent with them. So I decided to get them castrated. The deed was done on Wednesday. They are recovering well and started eating and drinking pretty much immediately. They had their first check over with the vet yesterday who said wounds look fine. Perhaps they are still a bit under the influence but I haven't seen any bickering or fights since!
Bad stuff:
Lastly, I am ashamed to say, the boys have lice. Urgh. The vet nurse combed one out and looked at it under the microscope and confirmed a sucking louse.
Treated them with Xeno spot on last Sunday, bought a new temp cage they could live in whilst I deep cleaned their normal cage. Their mood went from interest in new house, ecstatic pleasure in seeing me cos it meant they could out of new house to injured indifference to me, who has left them in this pitiful hovel! Still they are back in proper house albeit limited as they are not meant to climb or stretch too soon.
Can't wait for new floor meaning they can go back to living room and can be allowed out to roam proper.

Boys happier in their normal but smaller abode. Bosley boy, coming out to say hello.
IMG_1508.JPG
2366 x 1582 - 965K
IMG_1506.JPG
1137 x 840 - 171K
Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley and wild boy mouse Wills.
Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini

Comments

• NickyNicky Mouse
    Lovely to hear an update on Charlie and Bosley it was sweet that Charlie came to find you. And I think getting them castrated was the right thing to do, male hormones can be hard to handle. And don't be ashamed because of the lice unfortunately it can just happen and more then likely because they were stressed with hormones or the op.
    Thanked by 1Sarahnash
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Lovely update Sarah, I had to laugh when you said you awoke with a ratty climbing on you!  X( Better than any alarm clock, I say!

Now that the lads are castrated, that gives you the choice to bring in a few female rats in the future if you lose one and want the other to have company, although that`s not something you need to consider right now. It`s just an option that will be open to you. Much like it would be with male mice. I never had the conviction to castrate any of my male mice anyway.

As Nicky said, the lice issue will be gone with the treatment, so just hang in there. x 
    Thanked by 1Sarahnash
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    What a funny story about Charlie coming to find you. I do hope castration calms the boys down.
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    They had their second check up yesterday, all healing nicely. Will clean and expand their reduced cage this weekend and do the second lice dose.
    They are doing ok and I haven't seen any squabbles, bickers or fist fights, hurrah.
    Mice in my heart and mind - Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex and house mouse Harry Houdini
    That`s really good news Sarah. 
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Glad all is going well.
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    It is so precious that Charlie came to find you, bless him. Glad to hear neuters went well and they've stopped squabbling. 

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    More update - definitely no more squabbling so good result there. They do wrestle in an amusing way and where they would have come to blows in the past someone just rolls over and is forcibly groomed with much eeeking.
    I haven't seen any further evidence of lice, hurrah.
    But Bosley had an abscess recently :(
    It was on the surgery site and no word of a lie, the pus was acid green. I've had cats with abscesses but never seen it so bright green. OH held him and I bathed it with warm salty water and got the cack out and he was down the vets the next day for some AB. Which he wouldn't take. Sigh. It got better but it wasn't a satisfactory treatment. But other than that they are doing ok. They have both just had their 1st birthday. I have bought some additional shelves and ladders for their cage and some new hammocks and hope to give them a complete change this weekend.
    Hope you are all ok.
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

Awww, Happy Birthday Charlie and Bosley.

I'm so glad castration resolved their fighting issues, shame poor Bosley developed an abscess though.

That`s a shame about the abscess occurring Sarah. Sometimes these need operated on themselves to remove the site of the problem, but hopefully it will resolve naturally. Really happy to hear the surgery has settled the boys. x