Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Motion Capture cameras for wild rodents?

Can anyone recommend a good, small, as-indestructible-as-possible-yet-preferably-not-as-costly-as-the-national-debt motion capture cameras? I want to get some quality shots of the wild rats that live alongside our horses but it's so hard without 'proper' gear. They flit away from the flash on a traditional camera, and the quality is appalling - it's a case of quick-snap and then they're gone, giving no time to sort of settings etc. (as shown by these abysmal attempts below :P
imageimageimage

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

If the Rats only come out after dark, it's very unlikely any camera could get a decent photo without some motion blur, unless you have some powerful security lighting. (You would need a really high ISO and a fast shutter speed.)

You could try a trail cam but I think in darkness they probably only record in black and white or you could try a camera and tripod set-up with a remote release cable.

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Cute photos there Kawaii! I have no idea about cameras, especially those that work in the dark. Those small security set up`s that people buy for their homes from places like B&Q can still be over the £100 mark. So not cheap.
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    I have a camera on Wills in his home. It starts recording video when it detects movement. It does infra red so can see in the dark, can do colour but black and white is more informative. You can then take a snap shot of a video frame and achieve a ‘photo’. The make is Ivideon and can stream to the internet (so would need a reachable wireless sign) or to HD card. I think it cost about £70 with yearly website costs if you choose that method. Admittedly the camera is very close to Wills so may give a false impression of ‘ooh that’s good’.
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley.
    Never forgotten fancy girl mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex, wild mice Harry Houdini and Little Wills
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    ...forgot picture....
    132C8D28-C607-4225-8293-38E1946A832A.png
    1280 x 720 - 737K
    Mum to rattie boys Charlie and Bosley.
    Never forgotten fancy girl mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Sabrina, Dylan, Kris, Abby, Kelly, Tiffany, Natalie, Alex, wild mice Harry Houdini and Little Wills