Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

2 year old rat with a lump

Hi so Mickey my 2 year old albino rat I thought he's doing ok. But I pick him up and stroke his fur and there's a lump . It's not super big. About the size of 2 peas. He doesn't complain or squeak if you touch it. He really could care less about it . However I am getting him a vet appointment tomorrow morning . Just to be safe. Has anyone else ever had this happen? What can be done . As I said tomorrow he is going to the vet ... thank you . :)

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Possible causes might be an abscess or a tumour but you're definitely doing the right thing by getting him checked out at the vet. I'd wait for the vet's advice on treatment.
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    At two years old chances are he will be prone to these things and they can be removed while small as they can grow larger and can mastasize (spread) to other bodily organs, so the vet will be able to take a look and give their opinion on what it is. If Mickey is in otherwise good health removing it could be the best option to allow him to carry on with his life. The lump can then be analysed to determine if it`s benign or malignant. Sometimes they are just fatty growths, but if there are cancer cells, it can still mean prolonging the rats life if surgery is carried out while the lump is small and non-evasive. 

Le us know what the vet sais and stay positive. x
    Hi Shaeleneangel, any updates on Mickey`s vet visit? I tried to post yesterday but the forum was down for some reason?

I saw a TV vet documentary since we last posted which showed a large albino female rat with a large mammary tumour which was removed and the vet used metal staples to close the wound as she commented that rats would `chew` stitches even metal ones?!! She (the vet) also commented that mammary tumours can be removed every time they appear. There was barely any blood during the operation too and it all seemed straight forward.

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

Sounds like a good documentary, April. I wish I'd seen it. The forum was down for me too.

I watch the freeview channel 38 Ann called Quest Red. Each night it shows a couple of Animal Cop`s shows from Houston and one from Phoenix. But the show the rat was featured on was last Friday night but it`s not on this week sadly. It was a vet who practices in Alaska. Maybe a channel search of past freeview programmes will throw it up? Saw som nice ferrets on those Animal Cops shows over the past few evenings but they usually show horses, cats, dogs, farm animals etc...they do a great job. 
    Ann, the show is called Dr Dee Alaska Vet. I found the episode I watched a week ago with the rat on it. Here is a link, although I`m sure it can be watched for free online, just not sure if this is one of them>

• AnnBAnnB Mouse
    I don't ever recall seeing that channel, I shall have a look. Thank you for the link too, April.
    Quest Red is a freeview channel Ann and should be available on your freeview listings if you have a TV that has a freeview tuner? Or a digital aerial should pick it up fine. You may need to retune your TV. Up until last Friday it was also showing the Glasgow Vet school episodes which I only came across thinking it was a US show but pleasantly found out it was the UK version!

Back onto original topic... any updates on what your vet said about Mickey`s lump? Really hope they didn`t go down the, "He`s too old to be operated on" outcome because my personal view is (and others might disagree), if the rat is in `okay` health otherwise, good heart/respiratory action and a good weight/eating well and still generally active, I would say the rat stands a better chance of coping with a general anaesthetic than a rat who is frail or has ongoing breathing issues which a vet might say could compromise their life if given a GA.