Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

More New Mice

I've "acquired" two new mice recently that were advertised as needing a home due to daughter's allergy. They are the sweetest little mice and are already completely hand tame. They are both girls and I was chuffed to think they'd make good friends for Phia who has been on her own since Puzzle died.

Phia had other ideas though and although I kept them all together for two days and nights, she still won't stop bullying them. It's strange really, one minute she's grooming them and snuggling up to them, the next minute she's chasing them. They stuck up for themselves, bless them and if anything, it's Phia who has ended up getting nipped most. After two nights of no sleep due to their constant squeaking, I gave up and separated them again this morning. I shall continue to let them free range together where I can keep an eye on them and I'm just hoping that they will gradually settle together.

DSCN0216b resize.jpg
570 x 580 - 152K

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    They landed on their feet finding you Ann, that`s for sure! Phia is being a typical matriarch! Try putting their cages side by side (if that`s possible) for a few weeks and then try again. This worked miracles with my single female Maisy and the other, larger show mouse Betsy I had in another cage who lived with an older mouse who then passed away. The morning of that death, I got both girls out, onto the bed with a fleecy play house and never hard a peep from either of them!  I put this down to the barred cages being side by side for months so the mice could get to know each others smells. It worked. 

This only works though if both cages are barred. 
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

The free range together idea was going really well and they had a nice long run around this morning. I popped them back in their separate cages and went to the loo. When I came back, Phia was climbing down the outside of her cage, having escaped through the bars. She'd been fine in that cage for several months beforehand! Anyway, she seemed to want to be with the others after all so I put them all in together again and (touch wood) all is still well this evening, no squeaking or chasing and no escapes.

I'm hoping it will remain that way but I shall try your idea otherwise, April as both cages are barred.

\:D/  Hope they stay friends now Ann, it makes life that bit easier! I would say if they are sleeping/eating and sharing the wheel now without too much negativity they should be fine. But if things go pearshaped, you can try the side-by-side cage idea. 

I walked past my old vets surgery this morning which is now under new management. Brought back memories, I can tell you! I was last in there with Chubs my dwarf hamster to have his teeth checked. That was the last time. So miss those days. x
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

All going well, just one squeak in the night.

It's a strange feeling to find yourself back at a place you haven't visited for years. You must miss having a wee dwarf hamster and it's frustrating that your pain issues have made you think twice about any small furries but if you are strong willed enough to avoid any "free to good home" adverts, it must make your life easier not to have the responsibility.

It does Ann, but at the same time, it`s very frustrating. Being on ESA (Employment and Support Allowance) which is a government benefit for people who cannot work due to illness or disability means I go through assessments every so often to keep that benefit and you have possibly heard about Universal Credit on the news? This is the new `umbrella` benefit for anyone who is unemployed, or on an income based benefit and it has been created to be a controlling system even for those IN work who don`t earn enough. It`s causing a lot of problems in society and this government are hell bent on getting everyone onto it, which means when someone is re-assessed for ESA and loses it, they have no choice but to claim Universal Credit or have NO income. It`s a nightmare.

Because of the nature of my pain, I`ve had to keep fighting to stay on ESA because although I try to participate in things, I find it worsens my resolve and trying to work even part time would be impossible unless I had a good medical intervention that would stop my pain from escalating when I do anything physical or repeatedly. So it`s been a tough road physically and mentally. 

It all takes it`s toll on decision making when five years ago, I would have gone looking for more mice or another wee hamster. My energy levels are up and down too so when I do have `better days` I tend to try and get out and about or do some card making when my headaches are not bothersome etc....but just doing that can be enough to cause my neck to stiffen up when I use my arms outwards while making the cards. 

I won`t give up trying though! Great to her the three girls are settling.