Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

sarahnash news 1 - Introducing Ruby the Rat

When I last posted I had just had Charlie put to sleep. I said I didn’t want any more animals, as selfishly, it hurt me too much when they inevitably became ill and died.
My resolve did not last long.
Within a day of missing Charlie, Bosley started self mutilating and chewing his hands to scabby dryness. He was unhappy and lost. And I’m not having that.
So I adopted a young female and started the process of introductions.
Her name is Ruby (Tuesday) she is white with a grey stripe on her back and has ruby red eyes. She is a little darling and mouse like (to me) in that she rarely stays still. My boys were my first rats...and boys... and I am advised boys are slower and quieter than girls.
However introductions haven't gone well. We did the bath tub thing armed with treats and ready with fleeces to throw over them in the event of a fight.
And we needed it. Ruby just wants to be friends, Boz is having none of it and has attacked her every time. Proper rolling over fighting, squeaking and he drew blood one day. I confess I haven’t tried since then. But their cages are next to each other and he is definitely interested.
Ruby has a Ruffy 2 she is quickly growing out of and we have another critter nation ready for her... and her friends.
Because if Boz won’t take to her I am not letting her remain alone and am planning some baby girl friends for her I hope next week (with appropriate introductions of course).

My darling Bosley and cages side by side with Ruby

Mum to ratties Bosley, Ruby, Emily and Jean, Teddy the hamster and George the gerbil.
Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills and Charlie the gentle-man Rat.

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

They both look very sweet, I hope they'll decide to be friends soon.

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Sarah, sorry I`m late to your posts, haven`t been well with headaches. The cages being side by side should definitely help. Might take a few weeks or even months, but patience is the key. Bosley just being able to see another ratty is a positive. It will keep him focussed on her rather than chewing himself. Let us know how things go. x
  • SarahnashSarahnash Lemming
    Thanks for the reply RM, sorry to hear about the headaches. I hope they improve/decrease. Yes we did side by side for a while and it is essential I would now say, for introductions. Just took up a bit of space in the bedroom! But everyone is in same house now :\"> I-)
    Mum to ratties Bosley, Ruby, Emily and Jean, Teddy the hamster and George the gerbil.
    Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills and Charlie the gentle-man Rat.
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    =D>  I only tried the cage-to-cage thing once with my female mice and I couldn`t believe the result I got after a few months. I suppose it allows them to see, smell and suss each other out for a wee while before they invade each others lives! Gives them a chance to bond through the bars, so to speak.