Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• AnnB December 2018
If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

sarahnash news 5 - Teddy the hamster escape artist

Teddy lives in a custom made environment of two Ikea cupboards put together on their backs on the floor. The walls are high and wooden and I fashioned a roof made of wire baking trays. So in a way I deserved his ease of escaping!
I check him at least twice a day but only interact if he is about. Got a bit concerned one evening when his food hadn’t been touched and on checking the camera footage of the early hours I was horrified to see him ‘vault’ onto the top of his water bottle, onto the top of his wheel, fall off many times except the last one when he managed to stand up, grab the barred roof then commando like traverse upside down to the edge and wriggle out to the top. He then was seen walking around the edge ... and then nothing on camera for some hours.
It was a Saturday about 1am, OH and I had watched Strictly and shared a bottle of wine. There we were, naked, a bit tipsy, hunting for a hamster.
I wouldn’t be so flippant had something terrible happened of course but we found him quite happy under a filing cabinet where he had made a nest. There was a bag of gerbil food on the floor and he had helped himself to that and ripped open some bedding and was quite cosy but probably a bit thirsty.
So he was put back in his proper home and I took the upright wheel out (he still had his saucer).
Damn me if he didn’t do it again the next night.
I don’t know how he got out this time the camera just showed him on the roof of the cage. But we knew where he would be.
Put him back in his enclosure and took the roof off.
Has nothing to climb onto and the walls are too high to scale.
But despite his quite large area I wonder if he is troubled he cannot see out? I am careful when I approach by talking quietly so he knows I am coming but it must be scary a large pink thing arriving above him. He will often run away then creep out again.
So I am thinking about getting a proper cage but nothing will be as big. (His floor area is approx 2000 sq inches). Or maybe customise another Ikea cabinet a bit like this -
https://goo.gl/images/Y9foPE
But maybe it will never be big enough. When I get him out he runs around the room trying to scale the walls, he just dislikes boundaries.
Mum to ratties Bosley, Ruby, Emily and Jean, Teddy the hamster and George the gerbil.
Never forgotten - my lovely fancy mice Jill, Kate, Eve, Kris, Sabrina, Dylan, Kelly, Abby, Tiffany, Natalie and Alex and wild mice Harry and Wills and Charlie the gentle-man Rat.

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

X(  Hilarious, thank goodness for a happy ending. I had a Hamster years ago that escaped from his cage, chewed all my shoelaces and returned to his cage by morning.

I don't know what to suggest about the cage unless you got two different cages and alternated them to give him a change of scene.

Thanked by 1Sarahnash