Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Might have to say goodbye...

One of my rats, Altheda is in an awful state. The vet found a tiny, tiny tumour on her in January. I decided not to operate because of her age and frequent respiratory infections. Thankfully, it's been a real slow grower and it's still not massive now, although quite sizable. Her sister's tumour grew to the size of a grape in a week so she had it removed, it just didn't feel right operating on Altheda and I stil know I made the right choice.

Last few days she's started to lose weight, quite noticably but she's been relatively happy and still eating. Now, she's lethargic and just keeps falling asleep on the floor of the cage, not in her nest. Basically, wherever I put her, she stays. She can barely keep her eyes open. Her nose is covered in porphryn (although I am worried it may be blood as it's all black and crusty.) I managed to get her to have some soya yogurt last night. And then she took some malt paste which is her absolute favourite. Today, she won't take and food, even malt paste and she's stopped drinking. Her underside is covered in urine. She doesn't sound respy, but maybe the vet can hear soemthing I can't. I was quite surprised she was still here this morning.

I've booked her in at the vet for 17:30 and I have a feeling I'm going to be saying goodbye to my beautiful girl :cry:

Comments

• _racingmouse_racingmouse Legacy
    Aw lauren, she does sound as though she`s feeling tired and given up poor lass. You will be giving her peace today if she does go over to the better side. It`s never easy dealing with their illnesses and keeping them going and trying to decide what`s for the best. I usually leave things quite late because I let the animal tell me when they are ready. I never like to make too quick a judgement with this and it sounds like you have done the same with Alheda. She wouldn`t want to leave you too soon either unless she showed you in her own way that she`d had enough. At least by the time things come to a head, you know they are ready to leave and you don`t feel as bad about it. :hug:
  • _AnnB_AnnB Legacy
    It's so hard to make that awful decision but it does sound as if the time has arrived. I wish you lots of courage and inner strength later at the vets and in the meantime I'm sure you'll be giving Altheda lots of cudddles.
  • _lauren_lauren Legacy
    Thank you all

She passed away in her cage, in the exact same position as when I left her :cry: I wish I hadn't gone out :(
  • _lauren_lauren Legacy
    Thanks guys... I just wish I could have been here with her :( I'm going to do a memorial now, always makes me feel a bit better
This discussion has been closed.