Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

The Worst Cages...

I thought this would be a fun little thing for us to do and maybe also useful for people looking into keeping rodents as pets :) I thought that we could post a photo of the worst cages we have come across, the cage name,  along with a little "In my opinion this is the worst cage ever, because...." (Please make it clear people that it's in your opinion, we don't want manufacturers to come after forum members!!)

So, I'll start:

In my opinion this is the worst cage EVER. Because...when my mouse goes in it and touches his nose to the side, his tail sticks right out the other end!!! Aladdin the mouse was sold with this cage, which I was told was "perfect for a mouse to live in - it's an ideal home for them" My smallest cage allows for multiple egg boxes, toys, wheels, dishes, tunneling opportunities and this one is slightly smaller than two standard sized egg boxes!! Name and make are unknown. Despite it being a cage that I really hate, I have found it handy as a cage for introductions and for keeping set up for emergencies (e.g. if boys need separated, some one needs left at the vets for an operation.)

Comments

• racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    It`s shocking to see similar caging online sometimes as still being acceptable for small animal housing. The way you have yours set up as a hospital or carry cage is fine for such needs though. It will be good to see the day cages are given a minimum acceptable size without it being a `guide` rather than a law. x
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming
    I think the modular housing systems eg Rotastak suck because animals feel trapped and end up developing cage rage.

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

• zany_toonzany_toon Mouse
    Kawaii said:

I think the modular housing systems eg Rotastak suck because animals feel trapped and end up developing cage rage.

Good call :)
    What most people don`t realise is that Rotastak and similar modular designs mimic a tunnelling system that a hamster may have with separate compartments underground. What it doesn`t provide is an escape from that claustrophobic unit, which is why nowadays, parts should only be used as `add on`s` if required, but not used as an actual cage at all if possible. x
  • KawaiiKawaii Lemming

What most people don`t realise is that Rotastak and similar modular designs mimic a tunnelling system that a hamster may have with separate compartments underground. What it doesn`t provide is an escape from that claustrophobic unit, which is why nowadays, parts should only be used as `add on`s` if required, but not used as an actual cage at all if possible. x

I'll confess I have the Rotastak Maxi Mansion as Jane's bedroom/dining room:
    But it's when people use them as the animals' entire cages that it isn't good.

Proud owner of 2 chinchillas and a dwarf hamster

(chins for the win!)

If I'm not active I have probably forgotten my password (again)....

That`s fine Kawaii, your set up isn`t restrictive because you have attached an actual cage to the link-up`s. =D>
    Thanked by 1Kawaii
  • BaggyMousersBaggyMousers Mouse
    That is absolutely bloody disgraceful!! I can't believe somebody would consider keeping a mouse in a cage that big!!! Then again I came across a supposed "wheel" the other day for mice and not even my smallest mouse Mini would fit in it. Its absolutely ridiculous, they would have to break their backs to get in it.

I haven't got anything near it for comparison but it was about two inches wide. 

wheel.jpg
    756 x 684 - 358K
    I know baggy, those contraptions should have been outlawed years ago along with the ridiculous cages that are still seen in pat shops. I`m surprises that wheel doesn`t say `for mice and hamsters` because they usually try to flog them to a wider market. I would politely ask for the manager and say what a danger they are and how useless. >:P