Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Blood?!?

I just got my mouse a week ago. Today I found a wet pink colored spot in his.cage. If this is urine (which I'm assuming it is) is he bleeding?!?! It was pink not red. The only other thing I can think is that his food has some naturally colored pieces in it.

Comments

• Meece17Meece17 Lemming
    It's literally a bubblegum color, which makes me think it's possibly not bleeding but still.... Kinda scary.
  • CritteryCrittery Overlord
    Have you got him out for a checkover? if he's still shy as he's new, you can put him in a small clear container with no bedding and inspect him through this.
    crittery.co.uk
    Exotic rodent husbandry and rescue;
    Resource website for rodents and small mammals;

Please like us on facebook! www.facebook.com/critteryuk
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,230
    It could be dye from the coloured food as urine should normally be clear or tinged yellow. Keep an eye on him regardless. Blood would be dark/bright red as in....blood, but watered down it won`t be as dark. Only way to be sure is to monitor him closely and check his `bits`! Ultimately, make sure his water bottle is working and he`s not dehydrated. Can he reach/access water okay?
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse

Firstly, well done for being so observant! It really pays to check pets and their housing daily.

Does he have any beetroot in his diet or any other artificially coloured biscuits? You could try soaking a bit of the food in water to see if it produces the same colour and if so (and your little mouse doesn't otherwise look unwell) then you can breathe a sigh of relief.

It's definitely worth checking him all over as the others have said if he looks less active than usual.

• Meece17Meece17 Lemming
    Thanks for the advice Annb! It's so funny too because my mom told me to do the same thing as soon as she saw the red biscuits in his food. We soaked one and the water turned red. It is beetroot in there too (I read the ingredients). I guess I freaked out prematurely lol, my past hamsters had a lot of health problems:P Other than that he is acting totally normal and healthy;)

Sorry I can't figure out how to get the picture to turn the right way:P
    IMG_5450.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 589K
    IMG_5446.JPG
    1632 x 1224 - 455K
  • AnnBAnnB Mouse
    Great news, and I'm so pleased it was easily resolved.
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Good detective work. Glad to hear the food pieces were the culprit!