Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

If you were a Mice are Nice member, and haven't got the Forum Refugee badge - PM Crittery to sort this out for you!

Any ideas ?

We have been given a hamster cage for Mr Tom its bar spacing is 6mm and I could really make it great for him apart from one thing. There is gap on each of the door corners that I feel he could get through, the top door is easy as I could just pop something on it while not in use but the side door would be a problem as I need to secure the corners but I will still need to use it. Any ideas would be most welcome.

Comments

• AnnBAnnB Mouse

Racingmouse gave me a very useful tip once, it was actually to stop a mouse squeezing through bars that had been pushed apart by a water bottle but it should work well enough on a cage door too. Cut out a piece of thin plastic from a margarine tub or similar, make sure there are no sharp corners and then simply weave it through the bars. It should be quick enough to remove for opening the cage door too.

Or perhaps you could bolt a piece of metal, plastic or wood which was larger than the cage door to the front.

• NickyNicky Mouse
    That's a great idea I will try the thin plastic strip thanks Ann.
  • racingmouseracingmouse Mouse
    Thanks Ann! Yes, the cut out piece of Perspex or plastic margarine tub can be weaved through the bars to block gaps. I placed a flat piece against the bars, weaving it through at the top and bottom and put a hole centrally for the water spout to fit through. Works great. A water bottle spout can widen the bars either said, so placing a flat piece of plastic that is flexible between the bars blocks the gaps, but allows the bottle spout through using the hole made. I can`t remember where I came up with this idea but it was probably just a eureka moment I had! x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Thank you racing mouse its a great idea but we ended up buying another cage for Mr Tom today, not because of the gaps but because it was such a tall cage and all last night I kept worrying that because of his problems (Short tail, funny eye) it may prove a problem for him.Luckily we have found a barred cage with very narrow bars that's a lot shorter. He will be going in it in a couple of days when its all set up with new toys =))
    That`s very sensible Nicky. I never use barred cages for hamsters because they are primarily ground dwellers but will climb bars because they are there to entertain and the hamster can break a leg or just keep climbing and dropping to the floor, which can`t do them good.

The exception to this rule would be the Chinese hamster as they are far better climbers and more mouse-like than your other hamster species, but I would still be inclined to stick with my Gabber Rex tank! I think I`ve kept four different dwarf hamsters in it now and it`s still doing a grand job! x
  • NickyNicky Mouse
    Mr Tom is a mouse racing mouse but he was a bit beaten up when we got him lol. He's in his new cage and is loving it so far though its a slow progress with him getting to trust us, he still fly's around in a panic or just freezes if we get too near and won't yet take a treat off us. But we will not give up. >:D< .I've never owned a Chinese but they sound interesting. Elfin our little Dwarf ham loves her zoozone 2 and is such a character , I haven't owned one before I got her for some years and forgot how great they are.
    Sorry Nicky, I didn`t realise Mr Tom was a mouse and not a hamster! I didn`t read your first post properly I just saw the words hamster and Mr Tom! I missed the part about `cage`! ;)) I`m sure he will love the cage in time. Nervous mice ( not so much the show mice) do seem to settle down with time and age and into a routine. x